Chapter 54 - Ignorance

"You say have you seen the new CFO, he looked like a zombie walking in. I have never seen him like that. I mean he always presents himself to be a smart and stylish one. How come he have those dark circle under his eyes and he looked like he didn't sleep for ages" Samara whispered to another girl in her department.

Nandini's hand typing on the keyboard paused suddenly. She woke up late and got ready for work. She didn't bother to cook food and directly went to the company. She was working when she heard Samara gossiping with another girl. The scene of last night flashed in her mind. His confession, his words feels like thron in her heart. She always thought why he never gave her any attention and why he always bring so rude to her. She has guessed many possibilities but never thought it will be related to her past. She could understand he was wronged by his past lover and what happened to him was injustice but does his injustice gives him the right to do repeat the same with her? Just like he was hurt , he hurted her. It says that after learning lessons people get matured. They understand things better and their perspective changes with it. But what about him? Dyd he changed himself to do what he learnt from others and repeat those sins? Is that what he got from his past? Nandini don't believe in such a way.

"Really? I was busy with work. I haven't seen him. But why did you say like that? Did he really looked at awful?" The other girl who named Sharmila whispered back.

"Well to  say, he did. God, he is the most handsome man in the company and the most stylish one. But today he looked kind of....uh...." Samara frowned. Did something happened between Nandini and him? She thought for a while pausing her words.

"You two should focus on your works other than gossiping around. BM will come to collect the report in an hour if you two just forgotten about it" Nandini's cold voice reached their ear making them startled. They looked at her back and could feel that she had heard their talk. Samara cleared her throat.

"I have to finish the work first. I will talk to you later" she said to the other girl quickly dismissing her and focused herself on the computer screen. God, she shouldn't have talked about the CFO infront of Manik. The distance between the desk of her and Nandini was only few feets away. She shook her head and started to work.

During the lunch time when Nandini went to the canteen she bumped with Manik. Seeing his face she frowned slightly. What Samara described in the morning seemed to be true. He really did look like someone who hadn't slept for ages. He threw a smile at her and looked like wanted to talk. But she avoided him and walked past without a word. This treatment continued for a week more. Even if they bumped she would ignore him like she hadn't seen him at all. Samara and Yadav would sense the cold war between them and also the tension rising in the air. But since they would ignore eachother they couldn't middle in. After a week Boss called everyone in the meeting room.

"As you all know the finally report of the new Japanese project was sent  few days ago. Today I got an email from them declaring their answers. This project was tough and had many competitors who tried hard to grab the opportunity for themselves. But the news I wanted to tell you all is our trip to Japan was successful and those leaders were deeply impressed by JMC. And this is why, all the efforts you have put into this huge project is now fruitful" Boss smiled happily. His eyes were shining with pride as he looked at his stuffs present in the room. "JMC finally hit the top and grabbed the Japanese project. Congratulations to all of you and your hard work"

Everyone in the room was surprised then they congratulated eachother. It was big opportunity for JMC to rank in top company list. With the new project in hand of course this was the golden chance to step on the stairs of the top.

"Tonight I am throwing a congratulation party at hotel. I will send you the address and I want you all to present there to celebrate the moment. So you can leave early from work and meet in the party" Boss said nodding.

"Oh my god, I still can't believe this" Samara almost squealed. "Finally we got the project. And boss, I am finally in love with his attitude. He looked so happy and wanted us to enjoy with a party" she shook her head in excitement. "Nandini I will pick you up okay?"

Nandini was engrossed in her thoughts that she didn't even hear her. Samara frowned and shook her head before shaking Nandini holding her shoulder. "Hello, are you listening?"

Nandini jerked back from her own land and looked at her "what?"

Samara rolled her eyes "I said I will pick you up for the party okay?"

"I don't feel like going"

"What the hell? You can't do that. Boss personally told everyone to present there. Besides it's not about some cocktail party but a purely business congratulation party. So yeah you really need to get your butt in there and don't let boss ask you question"

Nandini groaned "can't I just free from it?"

"Yeah, you are the only one who gets bored in the party. Others seems to crazy about it" Samara laughed. "no more talks. I will pick you up okay"

Nandini helplessly nodded. She really don't have any choice either. Later in the evening Nandini got ready and stood infront of the mirror. She choose a simple black dress reaching to her ankle. The dress doesn't have any design but a plain one. She didn't bother with jewelry but wore a pair of earrings. Her hair was down which reach up to her waist. A simple silver hairclip was attached on side.  She checked the time and grabbed her purse before walking out. After locking the door she headed towards the gate. After waiting like 5 minutes she saw a gry coloured car stopped infront of her. Once the glass down she saw the familiar face.

"Nandini let me drive you to the hotel"

Nandini didn't reply but chose to ignore him. There's no way she will go with him. After everything happened he still has the gut to ask her.

Manik sighed, "I know you hate me but it's also not good to stand alone in the road like that. At least as a colleague you can ride with me"

Nandini turned to look at him "you don't have to bother with that. Samara will be arriving at any moment. So please refrain yourself from presenting yourself as a gentleman because we both know you are not"

Manik felt hurt with her coldness. Suddenly he realised this was how he behaved in the past. She was hurt with his cold attitude yet she would try not to look hurt at all. He felt something tugged his heart. He was a jerk in the past and her behaviour is justified. Why wouldn't she get angry at him when he caused this anger in her. For a moment he couldn't utter a word.

Nandini frowned looking at the time. It was already late. But where is Samara? She thought to give a call when her phone ring.

"Where are you? I have been waiting for you like ages" Nandini snapped.

"I am sorry, I am sorry... " Samara huffed, "my car got punctured and I had to repair it first. I am on the way"

Manik looked at her who just ignored his presence. He knows he wouldn't accept his offer. She is quite stubborn. After few more minutes he saw another car pulled infront of him and Nandini without a word got inside and the care drove away. He gazed at the car and sighed. His grip on the steering wheel tightened till his knuckles turned white. He wanted to scream out his frustration yet he couldn't.