Chapter 6 - The Truth

"Are you still there?" The other line sounded again.

Nandini shook her head then calmed down before placing the phone near her ear again "um... yeah"

"What happened to you today? You sound weird" Manik said through phone.

"Nothing, I am just ..." Nandini glanced around nervously "tired"

"I hope I am not bothering you"

"Not at all" she replied instantly "um..why did you call?"

"I wanted to talk about our bet. You still remember right?"

Nandini closed her eyes for a moment. This is the only thing she don't want to talk about, specially with him after feeling embarrassment all day. But he have to call her and remind it again? She really wanted to smack herself so hard that she want the pain to linger  on her till it makes some sense.

"Of course I remember it" how can she forget it when she is the one who started in the first place.

"Good then, let's talk about it"

"Now?"

"Yeah, any problems?"

"No, not at all" she shook her head "so have you found it?"

"I may be wrong but I have 50% assurance about it" he replied.

"And what is that?" Nandini's heart started to beat faster. Have he found it out? That soon? She originally though it will sometimes and in between may be she could give a try to change the bet but now that he called all her hope shattered and suddenly disappointed filled her heart.

"You said you know the girl right?"

"Yeah, so what?" Nandini frowned, everytime he asked about the matter she felt her heart sinking down.

"So I guess that the girl is you"

Nandini flattened her lips. Why he have to guess it so correctly? Couldn't he just make a mistake so that this matter will be stopped permanently?

"Are you joking?" Nandini asked. No matter what she won't be admitting it.

"No, I am serious" he replied.

"How could you come out with such idea? What made you think that girl and me are the same?" She retorted back.

"Are not you?" Nandini felt her heart jumped. He asked this question with such seriousness that she couldn't refute back.

"I have asked my friends who has good connection with girls in the college, let it be our classmates or from other sections. So the final results is that most of them don't have time to help some kids from orphanage. Besides they belong so high status family so anything happens casually won't grab their interest" he explained.

"But that does not mean I could be that girl. Your logic is too lame to accept" Nandini replied.

"How lane it is, you and me both knows it clearly. Besides my friends connection has wide range but it still didn't reach near you. Can you be more mysterious than this?"

"Don't puzzle the words, I have no interest engaging in word war now" Nandini said biting her lips. What should she say to make him believe that she is not that girl?

"Oh, I am not inviting either but there's one thing that you can do to let this matter drop for good" he said calmly.

Nandini frowned "really and what is that?"

"Why don't you admit the truth so that we can drop this matter"

Nandini closed her eyes as she  started to feel annoyance "why should I admit it? You are just assuming it from simple investigation. There's no proof at all"  her voice raised a little at the end.