Chapter 80 - His Promise

"So Manik I was not expecting you to meet here. You know I have never seen Nandini  interacting with her friends. She would always stays alone. But now seeing you here it felt good. This way Nandini di will feel better" Sneha said as she took bite of her burger.

Manik smiled, "well I wasn't expecting it too. I had some business to handle here. And when I saw you two I couldn't hold myself back from saying hi"
He said as he looked at Nandini.

"Good, good. Like this I have also got the chance to meet you. Nandini di is always aloof. She would always stays alone" Sneha shook her head.

Manik pursed his lips and looked at Nandini. Sneha don't know what's happening with them but how could Manik be oblivious of it? It pained him seeing Nandini's dejected look. He sighed in his heart but the current situation is not under their control. And sometimes he fears that something would change that will seperate them forever. He had lost her once but he couldn't think of it anymore.

"Oh, I forgot to order for drinks. Excuse me" Sneha got up and hurried towards the counter.

Manik hold Nandini's hand and said in assuring tone, "why are you worrying so much? When our feelings and intentions are true nothing could seperate us. All you have to do was have a little faith"

Nandini looked at him, "I am trying don't I? But I know my father well. Even if the engagement was broken he would never—"

"What did you say? Your engagement is broken?" Manik asked her with shock. Did he heard right? Her engagement is broken?

Nandini nodded her head, "yes, even I still have doubt in this. I don't know why suddenly the Bhatt family broke the arrangements. I was so shocked when mom told me. Dad was furious at the news"

"Did they gave any reason?"

"I don't know. Mom didn't say much. But she only said that the Bhatt family suddenly came and broken the engagement. They even suggested that dad should marry me to you"

Manik frowned. How come situation changed like that? He was trying to persuade her father. He wanted to show his feelings and sincerity. But Manik never thought in the mean time something like this will happen.

"How did your mom react to it?"

"Mom looked fine but dad would always be angry. He would snap other at small things. It was more like he was throwing the anger of Bhatt family on us. Looking at his condition I don't think that he is ready for hearing any explanation or something"

"Maybe he is disturbed that's why he behaved like that" Manik told her making Nandini look at him, "I mean he dreamt of you getting married with the man he arranged for you isn't it? Now that it has broken like this it's obvious that he will be angry"

"You are right. Mr. Bhatt was dad's good friend. They wanted to expand their friendship to close relationship" Nandini sighed. "Aniket was also agreed to this marriage. He even tried hard to win my heart. When I think of it, I know it wasn't right to ignore his approach and turn him down everytime. But the fact I couldn't accept him from heart always gets on the way. And that's also the reason that everything he had done would always appear annoying in my eyes. I had not right to insult him but I couldn't also accept him. I felt so forced, pressured that it made my heart unwilling to everything my parents wanted me to do. I just couldn't —"

"Okay you don't have to explain to me" Manik stopped her. "I know it's hard when our decision don't match our parents desire. I could take you away, away from your family, away from all this mess. But I know, this plan may seem suitable at this moment to start a happy life but what about after next few years? We can start our new life escaping the situation but we can never be happy. The fact for our own happiness we hurted the people who made us see this world is not worth at all. And in future when our children hear this they would repeat the same thing if the situation would arise like this. At that time what will feel? That's why I wanted to make things right by going on the right path. If we can find our love then we can definitely fight this together"