Chapter 14 - The Call

The whole hostel was drowning in silence. It was late night where all the living beings were busy travelling in dreams.  No sound can be heard until there was a slow foot steps sounds slightly echoing in the corridor. Two shadows fell on the floor as it swayed and moved forward.

"Do you think it's okay?"

"You are still asking me that?"

"There's no one in here. You know the rules right?"

The other one rolled eyes "you are after the rules? Even after coming to this point?"

"I just don't want anyone to catch us. And what we are doing is definitely gonna give us a huge blow"

"Well, let's go back then. Who's care"

"Wait..." Nandini clutched Sanchita's arm worriedly.

"Where are you going?"

"Back to our room. What do you think?" Sanchita whispered.

"Why? We have already taken the risk and you want to go back leaving me in the middle?"

"Is that my fault?" Sanchita almost hissed "it was you who were nagging me like an old aunty. Now that I have given you the chance yet you were hesitating so what do you want me to do? Dance?"

"Shut up. I was just worried" Nandini frowned.

"It's all your pain for that stupid idiot. I really don't understand why are you taking so much risk just for him to talk to you" Sanchita heaved a sigh.

Nandini smiled at her words "you will know when you fell in love with someone"

Sanchita narrowed her eyes "if love is like that then..." She showed namasted action "I am totally fine being a single one. I will pass that love triangle"

Nandini wanted to laugh but she couldn't. Afterall if she laugh then it will the dead end for them. She looked around  the corridor. It was dark since all the light has been shut down.

"There's the landline phone at the end of the corridor. We need to hurry" Sanchita said pointing towards the darkness of the corridor.

"What if the warden comes?" Nandini asked as she felt nervous.

"She won't. The warden goes to check rooms at this time. We need to use this time. But if you stay here and worry about the warden then she will definitely show up" Sanchita replied.

Nandini took a deep breath. If it was not for the call she would never have taken such big risk like this. This kind of things are considered quite dangerous which she has never done before.

"Are you practicing how a statue stands?" Sanchita slapped her forehead "Nandini I swear if you stay like this I will definitely gonna run away leaving you alone to deal with the warden"

"I am going okay" Nandini replied as she moved forward. Soon they reached the last corner of the corridor. It was the warden's room near and there was a small office where the phone was kept.

"Here, go and fulfil your wish fast" Sanchita said and before Nandini could react she pushed her directly inside the office.

Nandini eyed the phone and her heartbeat raced. She had to take this chance because she know he won't pick up her calls. She wanted to use Sanchita's but she remembered that he knows Sanchita's number too. So she was left with no choice but to call him from the landline. Besides he will ne er expect her to call him at this time so he will definitely pick it up. With a trembling hand she picked the phone up and called him.

One ring

Two ring

Three ring

Then fourth.

Nandini waited hesitantly. She kept wishing for him to pick it up. Finally when the ring was about to go dead she heard the familiar voice.

"Hello"

Her heart sighed in content as she heard his voice. Finally after so long she could feel his voice.

"Hello, anyone's there?"

Gulping the saliva she replied with trembling voice "Manik"

The other line went silent.

"Manik please don't cut the call" Nandini added immediately again. She afraid that he will cut the call when he knows it was her who called him.

"Why are you not sleeping at this time?" He asked after sometime.

"I can't sleep" she replied.

"Are you trying to ruin your health? Anyways from where you are calling?"

"It's from warden's office"

"Are you out of your mind?" He almost shouted "you will get punished if you get caught"

Nandini smiled "are you worried fir me?"

Manik didn't replied for a moment "why did you called?" He asked after sometime.

"I.... You were not picking up my calls so I wanted to talk to you"

"I have told you-"

"I know. I clearly remembered everything you said. I am not forcing you to love me. What I want to say is please let me"

"What?"

Nandini sighed "please let me love you"

"Why?"

"Because I want to show you that I am sincere and I am not not joking. I just wanted you to feel about my feelings. I want to show you how much I love you. Please Manik if you can't love then it's fine, I will never ask you about it but you can just let me love you right. It's not a big thing I am asking from you"

"You are messing things again" he replied.

"No, it's not. Love is not a mess. It's just a beautiful feelings that happens unexpectedly. Please Manik it pains me when I can't talk to you. All I want you is to give me some time of yours. Please" Nandini pleaded.

Manik was silent for a moment again. Nandini could feel her heart was about to jump. She was never been this nervous like this. Please say yes, please say yes. She prayed in her mind.

"Okay" after few minutes he replied.

Her eyes widened and a big grin formed on her face "really?"

"Hmm..."

"Thank you, thank you....." She couldn't handle her excitement.

"I will call you tomorrow. Now go back before you get discovered" he said from other line.

"Okay" Nandini nodded even though he couldn't see her action.

"Umm...Manik?"

"Yes"

"I love you" she said then cut the call. Her heart was still racing but there was a kind of joy.

"Are you done?" Sanchita who was outside asked.

"Yes" Nandini walked out happily.

"Let's go, it's time for the warden to return back"

"Okay"

They walked back and headed towards their room again. It was a risky night but at the end the hard work rewarded positively.

"You look happy. What did you said?" Sanchita asked once they settled inside their room.

"He agreed" Nandini grinned widely.

Sanchita eyed him weirdly "agreed to what?"

"To let me love him"

"What?" Sanchita looked at her with wide eyes.

"Yes" Nandini nodded again "I don't know why he couldn't accept me. And I really want to know the reason behind it.  And I can only do that if he let me to stay by his side. Besides I love him so much to stay away. If he couldn't love me then at least he can let me love him. And guess what, he really did agreed and I am so happy" saying this she fell back on the bed.

Sanchita rolled her eyes and uttered "weird couples"