Chapter 1

In this world, there were adventures, those who hunted monsters to make money and a living. There were, of course, other jobs, such as being a blacksmith, a shopkeeper, a maid, and the whatnot. So adventurer wasn't the only option.

  People also had a class. Classes included knights, mages, clerics, synergists, and so on. People would choose a profession based on the class they were assigned. And just like everyone, you started without one at birth. But as you grew up and became stronger, your stats grew, and you were automatically assigned a class based on the automatic distribution of your stats. This was when jobs were chosen.

  A knight could go on to become a royal guard to protect the King and the inhabitants of the town. Or they could choose to become an adventurer. They could also become mercenaries or soldiers. Mages could also join the royal family, though they would spend most of their time creating spells to keep barriers around the town that prevented monsters from getting in. A Cleric could become a doctor, healing diseases and injuries.

  It seemed apparent adventurer was the best choice, as it came with more freedom and a sense of adventure. Every quest was a new job to be carried out differently, but not everyone wanted to risk their life for money. So, most people would work with the royal family to secure pay and safety or choose another job that fit their class and was less dangerous.

  As he continued, he told me about the leveling system and how adventurers formed parties and took on different work to level up. He said that, just like everyone, you were born level one and could start leveling up once you turned eight.

  After that, kids gained experience from playing, learning, and other day-to-day activities. But that stopped once they reached level ten. At that time, their stats were automatically distributed. And that was when their class was assigned.

  He told me that after choosing a profession, you could gain experience from doing it and becoming better at it. However, at some point, this experience would become less as the experience gained was based on the task's difficulty. That was why parties were formed.

  Adventurers were accepted into parties based on the stats they had. The higher their stats, the stronger an adventurer they were.

  "It's just like an MMORPG!" I thought with glee. "It really is a video game world! And this man..." I glanced over at him. "Is definitely the tutorial guide."

  I had figured out how to check my status window as he spoke. All I simply had to do was want to see it, and a window would pop up in my HUD. When I looked at it, my eyes widened.

KICHIROU SAIYAKU              Age: 17            Class: None              Race: Human?

Level: 1      Strength: 1     Agility: 1       Vitality: 1      Magic: 1

Defense: 1    Luck: 250       Experience: 0       NEXT: 50

CHARM: ???    Harem: 0

Skills:

•Calm Mind • Charm LV.MAX (Passive)

  "Waitwaitwait! Level one? No, forget that! What's with these stats?  Why is there a question mark after Human, and why is my luck so high!?  More importantly, what's with this Charm and Harem stat?!" I closed the status window with a sigh. "This world is mocking me, isn't it?"

  "Why the look of defeat?" The old man asked, noticing my countenance.

  "It's nothing," I muttered

  "Best to stay quiet about it." I didn't want to admit my low level and stats. Being seventeen and level one with below-average stats would be suspicious, and suspiciousness was always rewarded with attention.