Chapter 45

"So this is the place," I muttered as I stared down at the estate below me. "It's...definitely suspicious."

  The estate looked like the classic-styled mansion of your typical RPG boss. It was atop a cliff with the moon hovering above and behind it, casting foreboding shadows across the structure. A sizeable spiked gate enclosed the mansion, and derelict gargoyles littered the posts around it.

  You're probably wondering how I was floating in the air above the estate. Well, allow me to explain. It was part of the skill I had received from eating the Rabbit. The skill that allowed me to sit and/or walk on the air was known as Ripple Jump.

  I didn't know fully what it was capable of, but I had figured out some things on the way to the estate. Firstly, as mentioned in the description, the skill only worked when Flow was active. Flow increased my movement speed drastically. Way more than I thought it would have, and it allowed me to effortlessly traverse my way across terrains regardless of obstacles or structures.

  When it was active, Ripple Jump could be used. I remembered seeing the Rabbit use it. It almost worked like a double jump of sorts, only it was unlimited jumps. However, I discovered that I didn't need to jump to use the skill. The skill itself created ripples in the air that appeared where my feet were, and if I didn't step off of the ripple, it would stay there, and I could sit on it. That's exactly what I was doing.

  I looked at the time in my HUD to see it was nearly midnight. I had made good time on my way here. It had only taken me fifteen minutes or so when it otherwise would have taken a little over an hour. I was grateful for that. That meant I could finish and return faster than I had anticipated.

  "Guess it's time to get ready," I grumbled as I reached into my inventory. "Seriously, why am I even doing this?" I couldn't care less what happened to them. It wasn't my responsibility to save the two girls. If anything, I was interfering with the world's Cannon events.

  I was an outsider to Agarthia, and if the true Hero had been chosen, he wouldn't have wound up here where I was. That meant what I was doing would break the Cannon timeline. But I didn't care.

  I knew Han was right when he grabbed me in the King's castle. They could be going through things no one should ever have to go through. I had to save them. What kind of person would stand ideally by as innocent people, women especially, suffered? I wouldn't be able to forgive myself if I didn't at least try.

Item equipped: Mask of The Rabbit
Your identity is now concealed.

  "Right...as long as I don't speak. That should be easy. This is supposed to be a quick mission, after all." I planned to run in, knock the guards out, and save both Xion and the Princess, assuming they both were there. Xion was, I knew that for sure.

  I know what you're thinking, too. Why not kill the guards? It would be easier. Well, assuming I was strong enough to kill them, I couldn't say for certain I would try. It was a Human life. I couldn't just end it. I had no right to. Choosing when someone lives or dies wasn't my job, and I didn't want it to be.

  Besides, as long as I could save them, there would be no need to kill the guards. That's why the plan was a quick in and out. I was sure I could do it with Flow active and shifting my stats towards an Agility-based class. I would be too fast for them to keep up with.

  I hadn't mentioned it before, but along with the Martial Arts skill being maxed, I had also absorbed the fighting style of the Rabbit itself. In other words, all the moves it could pull off, I could now as well. So, I would run by and knock them out, simple.