Chapter 57

A tear fell from my cheek as the vision ended, and my chest tightened as it was filled with rage and disgust. The woman from the vision had killed a Demon for no reason other than her hatred toward them.

  Was that how it started? The Demon massacre. Did it start because that woman had killed the wrong Demon at the wrong time, which started a war? Or was it more?

  I had thought the Demons were killed because of the danger they posed to the other races. That was what I had been told. But seeing that, I wondered if it all started because of the murder of the Demon King's lover.

  "Do you understand now?" Azrael asked from where he sat on the throne.

  "You're..." I pulled my hand away, which was inches from his. "You're Azrael, the Demon King."

  "I am," he replied. He rested one leg over the other and placed his fist on his cheek. "Now answer my question. Do you understand?" His crimson eyes gleamed as they gazed into my very soul.

  "I...I understand that you Demons did nothing wrong and that whatever stories have been told are all a twisted lie." I replied. He was silent for a moment before replying.

  "That's not what I am referring to." He narrowed his eyes. "You saw it, did you not? That by denying who I truly was, by rejecting the power I had been blessed with, I lost the one I loved most." He unfolded his leg and clasped his hands together as he leaned forward. "If you continue to reject me the same way I did, who's to say the same won't happen to you?"

  I knew what he was doing. I had seen plenty of anime where the main villain attempted to goad the hero into surrendering. To give in to the darkness. And although I was no hero, I refused to be the villain.

  "I won't accept you," I gnarled my lip. "I refuse to let you corrupt me. Every time I hear your voice, I can feel the rage that burns inside you. The hatred you bear toward the Humans and other races. I sympathize with your loss, but I won't be the vessel you use to carry out your reve-"

  "I DON'T NEED YOUR SYMPATHY!" He roared as he appeared inches away from me. "I need your body. That is all. And if you refuse to give it to me of your own volition," he grabbed my face. "Then I will take it by force." I was frozen in fear as I stared at him through the slits of his fingers. "This world shall know my pain! I will make them suffer as they made me! I will take away everything they hold dear, everything that they believe!" He leaned closer to me to where only his crimson eyes were visible.

  "I..." my voice shook as I replied. "I won't let you. It's my body, and I refuse to surrender it to-" I was cut off as he lifted me and slammed me to the ground.

  "You think you have a choice!?" He roared. "You are nothing! NOTHING! You are just a vessel for my resurrection! A mere human who wasn't made for this world!" My body shook in fear as he continued. "If it weren't for me, you would have died in that mansion because you refuse to accept what must be done! Innocent or guilty, any who stand in my way deserve death!"

  "You're wrong..."

  "What!?"

  "You're wrong!" I repeated louder as I grabbed his hand and forced it away. I quickly backed up and rose to my feet. "That mindset of yours is no different from the woman who killed Sasha!"

  "Never speak her name again." His voice carried no rage. It was calm and low yet filled with malicious intent. I swallowed hard before continuing. 

  "But I'm right. That same mindset is what the woman had when she killed....her." I dared not to speak her name. "Was she not innocent? Was she deserving of death because she was a Demon and stood in her way? You want revenge, I understand that. But you're going about it all wrong."

  "What do you know of revenge? What do you know about anything!"

  "I know that killing everyone isn't going to bring her back." I pressed a hand to my chest. "Nor will it bring back your race. It'll just make you alone. What's the point of being a King if you have nothing to rule?"

  "I am no King." He growled. "All my people are gone, along with my country. I've already lost the land and people I ruled over."

  "Then figure something else out!" I yelled. "Because I refuse to let you rule over my body!" I grabbed my chest. "And I refuse to accept these feelings of hatred! My heart belongs to me! I won't allow you to corrupt it!"

  "You can't deny me forever." His eyes narrowed as my vision grew hazy. "Sooner or later, you will call upon me. And when you do." I saw a sickening smile form on his lips. "I will claim what's rightfully mine."

  "Kichi! Kichi!" My eyes shot open to see Sora, Rubellia, Han, and Torappu standing over me.

  "Oh, thank the Seven, you're okay!" Sora cried as she wrapped her arms around me while I sat up.

  "Mmm," I groaned as I grabbed my head. "What...what happened?" The moment the question escaped me, the memories of the battle with Ezra came back, along with Azrael's rage toward her. "Where's Ezra!" I demanded as I shot to my feet and looked around. "Please tell me she's okay!"

  "Tsk. Of course, I'm okay," she replied from where she stood a few feet behind me. "Why wouldn't I be? You're the one who passed out."

  "Did...did I?" I muttered. I remembered being frozen, and the malice Azrael had when I refused to give in. I slowly began to recall our conversation in what I know called the Throne Room. "I guess that means I lost," I murmured as I looked at my party. "Sorry, guys. I guess I'm still leagues behind you all, huh?" I laughed pathetically as I scratched the back of my head.

  "Kichi..." Sora and Rubellia both wrapped themselves around my arm.

  "It's okay," Rubellia reassured. "The fight was unfair to begin with. It's not your fault Ezra has it out for you."

  "She's right," Sora agreed. "And you're lucky to be alive with that spell she cast." She glared over toward Ezra.

  "Don't get sad and sentimental," Ezra scoffed. "You won. You survived three minutes." She clicked her tongue. "So I suppose I have to make you A-rank."

  "Really!" Rubellia gasped. "He managed to elude your spell for that long?"

  "Dude, just what are you?" Han asked with a strained expression. "Actually, it doesn't matter." He smiled. "What matters-"

  "Is that we all made A-rank!" Sora squealed. "I can't believe this!" She jumped up and down. "Oh my Gods!" She gasped. "I have to tell my parents!"

  "Oh? You're finally going to introduce Kichichi to your-"

  "It's not like that!" Sora's face flushed red.

  "That's not fair!" Rubellia cried. "My parents live in the Narvo Province. I can't just show up like you can!"

  "Hehe." Sora rested her hands on her hips. "I guess that means my parents will be the first to approve of him, huh?" They continued to bicker back and forth while I became lost in thought.

  I wanted to cheer like they did, to let my victory wash away all my worries and troubles. But Azrael's words weighed heavily in my mind. Would he eventually take over my body? Was there no fighting it? When it happened...would I still be me? I feared that I already knew the answer, and nothing I could do or try would make a difference.

  I was the host of the Demon King, and sooner or later, he would awaken. And when that happened, I would cease to exist.