Chapter 34

Mount Fiji was even worse than I had expected. Sure, I had the enchanted ring, but the heat was still intense. I could feel myself sweating and the heat from my shirt blasting my face like a dishwasher blasting you with its heat as you open it.

  There was no exact path for us to follow either. It was all rocky terrain with a lava trail every once in a while that looked like a snail had left it during a long journey. We had to climb everything just to get to our destination, which, by the way, we were nowhere near.

  To be honest, I didn't know if I was going to survive another minute there. I mean, it wasn't like a smoldering heat. It was like a sweltering summer heat—the one where you wanted to stay inside, and you could hear the crickets chirping all around. The worst part was the climbing. As if the heat wasn't enough, there was exercise too! 

  "Come on, I'm already sweating gallons here! Hell, I think I could even fill a lake with all of this!"

  "Say, Kichi," Rubellia called to me. I had just climbed a steep rock and reached down to help her.

  "Yeah?" I replied as I grabbed her hand and pulled her up.

  "Do you remember how we first met?"

  "What a dumb question." You asked that after years of knowing each other, not a few weeks. But even with that thought racing through my mind, I replied, "Of course I do. I jumped into battle to save you all. You were crying like a baby, too," I added humor to it.

  "I-I was not!" She retaliated, but I ignored it.

  "Why do you ask?" I queried.

  "Well, when I first saw you, it's like a chill was sent through my entire body," she put her hand to her chest.

  "Am I the main character in some Rom-Com Action Fantasy? Seriously!?" Could the beautiful girl be confessing her feelings to the loser guy?.... "Yeah, right." 

  "I knew you were different from anyone else I had ever met. Your bravery, your determination to save us, the aura you gave off. It was all so strange, alien even."

  "Oh?"

  "I mean, I guess she's right." 

  "Yeah, so I have a question. Do you believe in love at first sight?"

  "That's... a weird question to ask, and nowhere near what I thought was going to be asked." 

  "Love at first sight?" I repeated as I closed my eyes in thought.

  "I know it sounds dumb. I thought it was fake, love at first sight, I mean. Something from a fairy tale. But then you came, and you were like the knight in shining armor that saved the damsel in distress."

  "That does sound dumb," I replied. She looked at me with a frown, but I kept going. She asked me a question, and I was going to answer honestly. "Love at first sight isn't real. It means you fell in love with an appearance, not who the person is. So no, I don't believe in love at first sight. I never have and never will. But I do believe in seeing someone and immediately knowing they'll be important to you. A click. That's what I believe in, that click known as recognition."

  Rubellia laughed softly. "I don't know if that was pessimistic or philosophical, but I won't question it." She walked next to me.

  During the entire conversation, Han had been ahead of us with Sora. The two also seemed to be talking to each other, sometimes laughing and sometimes yelling because one of them said something stupid. I couldn't help but smile at the scene and the warm feeling that began to spur in my chest.