Chapter 12

Other than the realization I would forever be Manaless, there was one other thing I could do. I was able to learn skills and strengthen them using skill points I acquired from leveling up, but they maxed out at five. Why it was so low, I didn't know. Most went to ten in games, some higher. 

  And yes, I had tried using some in the Magic category to learn spells, but when I tried to touch it, a window popped up saying Error. Unavailable due to lack of Mana. Because of that, I had over sixty unused skill points due to lacking Mana and only having three skills that I could have leveled up and already had.

  "So, you have a legendary weapon, huh?" Sora broke me out of my thoughts as she stepped in front of me. I looked over and noticed that the Elf girl who had been standing near us was gone. Some other Elves were gone, too, and I assumed they were going to get our gold.

  "Huh? Oh....yeah," I replied inattentively. I was still thinking about getting my hands on a cat girl. I mean...a support item.

  "I really need one." I almost cried at the thought. It felt so close, yet so far

  "Well, what can it do?" She got in my face, causing me to flinch back slightly.

  "N-no idea," I muttered as I averted my gaze.

  "What do you mean you have no idea? It's your weapon!" I could see her pouting in my peripheral.

  "She's way too close!"

  "I don't have Appraisal. How am I supposed to know?" I muttered.

  "Well, then, let's ask the mayor!" She grabbed Rei, unsheathed her, and began running towards the mayor. "Please appraise this and tell us what it can do!" As she spoke, she got on one knee and held Rei up to him, almost like a knight swearing their allegiance to the crown.

"Why is she so interested in Rei?" I sighed internally. "I'm not even that-" I paused in thought, realizing the Mayor could enlighten me on Rei's skill that allowed someone as weak as me to kill monsters.

  "Of course." The Mayor smiled as he inspected it. I heard him humming as he looked at the weapons stats and info. "Interesting." He finally spoke after a few moments.

  "What?" Sora's eyes shun in anticipation.

  "This dagger has two abilities, though one is locked, and I can't see it." He replied.

  "What does that mean?" Sora asked.

  "It means that as he uses the blade, it will grow and strengthen with him until the second skill is unlocked."

  "Then what about the current skill you can see?" I asked.

  "Hm?" The Mayors inspected Rei once more. "It's called Gambit. It says that at random times the blade can enter a state known as Risk, where all attacks become critical strikes, ignoring defense and dealing extra damage based on the wielder's luck stat. " He sounded confused as he read it.

  "Wait, seriously?!" My voice cracked slightly. 

  "That sounds OP!!"

  "Yes, however..." The Mayor twisted his face in confusion and disapproval. "It says that in exchange, all attacks on the wielder become critical as well."

  "Eh? So I'm...a glass cannon?" I asked no one in particular. I had some how managed to get lucky finding Rei. If not for her, I truly would have been weak. Without her skill, fighting enemies was the equivalent of running a marathon. I could do it, but I didn't want to, you know? It took too long. Anyway, her skill, when activated, made the strikes kill on contact, at least for the enemies I had encountered. I wouldn't get my hopes up on it doing it to every enemy.

  "Glass...cannon?" The Mayor tilted his head.

  "Huh?" I began to sweat as his gaze stayed heavy on me. "It's nothing. Forget it." I laughed sheepishly.

  "How odd." A shiver was sent through my body as he narrowed his eyes and studied me even harder. "You don't have any..." My heart dropped as he paused.

  Was this it? Was it the end of my journey? I was going to be captured, tested on, killed! And all before my journey even started!

  "Mmm," he hummed. "No matter. How did you get your hands on this?" The Mayor asked as Sora returned Rei to me.

  "Huh? I'm not going to be- Ah, who cares! Just play it cool."

  "It was a custom-made weapon I bought," I replied.

  "By whom?"

  "...Friends?" I thought about Lilith and how she called me a pervert. Could I call her a friend? Probably not. I frowned at the thought.

  "Hmm..." The mayor went quiet for a moment as he thought. "I would like to meet this friend." He finally replied with a smile. "I'd love to do business with them."

  "Oh? I'll let them know," I murmured before a familiar voice called to us.

  "I'm back! Sorry, it took so long." The Elf who led us here approached me and handed me the gold.

  "Mmm," I grumbled as I took the money. 

    "Umm... By the way, my name's Xion Palatine," she smiled brightly at me, increasing her beauty more than I thought it ever could.

  "This isn't good!" I thought as my heart raced. "Elves, animal girls, both are my weakness. And this world has them both! Well, cat girls are better. I actually want a cat girl to be my first everything. Heh. Yeah. That'd be a dream come true."

  "Umm..." Xion took an awkward step back. "Your eyes..." she started.

  "Huh?" I frowned as I looked at her.

  "Was I making a face? Shit, I probably was."

  "They look..." she paused and shook her head. "Nothing." She shook her head. "Never mind."

  "Tsk," I clicked my tongue. "Go ahead and say it." I already knew what she would say. She'd say the same thing everyone has said about my eyes. They're vulgar, rotten, dead, and lifeless.

  "Are you sure?" She asked as she stepped closer.

  "Don't ask my permission to insult me. Just do it!"

  "Sure, whatever," I muttered.

  "They're so pretty!" She said as she took an excited step forward.

  "Huh?" My eyes widened.

  "Like two golden suns." Her face drew closer to mine.

  "Wh-What?" My face grew hot as I stuttered for words, and my eyes glowed softly against her face.

  Thump-Thump!

  "What is this feeling?" I thought in a panic. "And why is she so close!?" I stared into Xion's eyes, whose gaze never wavered.

  "Wh-What are you talking about?" I stuttered, my face red as I took a step back. "Y-You don't know anything about me."

  "I don't know you, but I know who you are." She replied.

  "That makes no sense!" 

  "It doesn't matter. Please-" Xion took a step forward, to which I took one back. "Please, let-KYA!" She cried out as she took another step forward, only for her to trip and plummet toward me.

  "Eh?" I thought in a frozen stupor as she crashed into my chest, and we both hit the floor with a crash. She landed on top of me, her legs spread on either side of my waist. But I didn't notice that as a sudden pain shot through my skull.