Chapter 56

"Where am I?" I asked no one in particular as I gazed at the darkness around me. My eyes fell on the empty throne ahead of me, and my heart sank as a sickening feeling twisted in my stomach.

  The place, for whatever reason, felt familiar, like I had been there before. Even though fear began to form in the pit of my stomach and spread to my entire being, I made my way towards the throne. I inspected it with curious eyes and reached a hand towards it.

    "Azrael?" Sasha waved her hand in my face to get my attention.

  "Huh?" I looked at her.

  "You okay? You zoned out for a second." She asked worriedly.

  "Oh, yeah, sorry. I'm fine." I muttered a reply as I looked at the ground where we sat. "I was just thinking, is all."

  "About becoming the Demon King?" She asked sympathetically.

  "Yeah."

  I never wanted to be the Demon King. His soul just so happened to resurrect within me. I always wondered why he chose me. It could have been anyone, but he had to choose me. Because of that, my entire life changed.

  I wouldn't be able to see Sasha as much. I wouldn't be able to go out and adventure or help the world the way we both wanted.

  "You don't have to worry too much." She smiled, though I knew it was forced. "Sure, you won't be able to see me as much, but still. To be chosen as the next candidate to inherit the power of the Demon King is an honor."

  "That's bullshit, and you know it," I grumbled. "Yes, the power has been passed down for eons, but it's not a gift. If anything, it's a curse. The Demon King has to stay and watch over his country. He can't do anything he wants. He's forced to stay in the castle. Tsk. It's basically a prison." I clicked my tongue.

  "Don't talk like that." Sasha slapped the back of my head.

  "Ow, damnit!" I frowned. "What was that for?"

  "You'll be the Demon King. Even if you can't leave the Castle, just think about the power you'll hold in the tip of your finger. Plus," she frowned. "All the woman that you could dream of on your shoulder."

  "Heh, yeah. That is a plu-OW! Damnit, stop hitting me!"

  "You're such an idiot," she cried.

  "Haha, sorry," I scratched the back of my head. "I was just joking. You know you're the only girl I want." Her face flushed red at my statement.

  "D-don't say stuff like that!" She straight-armed me.

  "What?" I laughed as I hit my back and shot back up. "It's true." I fell silent.

  "Are you okay?" She asked.

  "...Let's run away. Me and you." I looked into her beautiful crimson eyes.

  "W-what?" She was surprised by my statement.

  "I don't want to be the Demon King if it means seeing you less. So let's run away. Me and you. We can be together forever." I grabbed her hand

  "A-Azrael..." she was silent momentarily as the wind blew around us. "Okay...let's do it."

  "Really?" My eyes brightened.

  "Yes, let's run away, Azrael!" She stood up and reached her hand for me to take. With a smile, I took it. But it was the worst mistake I ever made...

  "S-Sasha?" I looked down at her body lying limp in a pool of her blood. "SASHA!" I screamed as I fell to my knees and lifted her. "Sasha!" I shook her softly. There was no sign of movement or life.

  "You Demons disgust me," the woman hissed as she raised her blade to me. "All of you should just die!"

  "Do it, Azrael! Accept my power! Avenge her!"

  All I wanted was to run away and be with Sasha forever. I never wanted to accept the Demon King's power. But...I was weak. I was a Demon, and yet this human was stronger than me. She killed the love of my life. She killed her in cold blood.

  She died right in front of me. I watched as she slit her throat, and there was nothing I could do.

  No, that wasn't true. I could have saved her. No. I wouldn't have even had to save her if I had never asked her to run away with me. It was my fault she died. Not just because I was weak but because I was a coward and refused to accept the power I had been chosen to bear. I could have stopped it. If I had just accepted who I was, embraced the truth and who I was meant to be...

  "Now die, you fil-" the woman was cut off as an explosion of Mana from my body sent her flying back into a wall, knocking the wind from her lungs.

  "You!" I hissed as the black flames spread from my hand until it engulfed my entire body. "WILL BURN!"  As I charged at her, she vanished from sight. "What!" I looked around for her. "GAHHHHH!" I screamed. She had escaped. She ran from me, just like I ran away from myself. "I swear, I will find you! And I will end you!"

  "Azrael!" My mother ran to me as she saw me approaching the house. She embraced me in a tight hug as tears fell from her eyes. "Where have you been? What happened to you? You look like you've been crying. Is Sasha with you? Her parents are worried." Tears just filled my eyes as I cried to the sky. "Azrael...w-what happened?" Her voice was shaking. "Where's Sasha?" I was sure she already knew the answer. But I still had to answer.

  "She's dead!" I cried. "A human killed her right in front of me. It's all my fault! If I never asked her to run away, if I had just accepted who I was!" I buried my face in my hands.

  "Azrael...." Tears filled my mother's eyes as she quickly embraced me once more. "It's not your fault, sweetie. It's not easy being chosen as the Demon King. You're entire life changes in an instant." She squeezed me tightly. "I'm so sorry it had to happen to you." She sobbed. "I know you didn't want it. You never did." I was silent for a moment as my mother cried.

  Not only did I lose the love of my life, but I had made my mother cry. I really was pathetic.

  "It's okay, Mom," I whispered softly as I clenched my hand into a fist. "I've accepted it now. I know who I am. I am Azrael, the Demon King." My eyes were filled with determination as the next words left my mouth. "And for my first order as the Demon King, all Demons are to cut contact with all other races! No Elves, Humans, or BeastKin are allowed in this country unless you have my permission! The other races are not to be trusted, not after what they've done."

  "Azrael...are you sure about this?" My mother asked worriedly.

  "Yes." I didn't hesitate to answer.

  "Well...your wish is our command, my liege." My mother bowed.

  And that was the beginning of the end for us Demons.