Chapter 46

“That’s…odd.” I thought as we exited the basement. On top of there not being a single guard in sight, there wasn’t a sound coming from the mansion.

  “I don’t like this,” the Princess whispered fearfully as she grabbed onto the back of my coat.

  “Hey!” I snatched it away. “The plan is for you to run.” I pointed down the hall. “Not hold onto me like a baby.”

  “Why are you rubbing your eyes like that? Are you calling me a crybaby!” She rebelled with a stomp of her foot. I only shrugged in reply. “Why you-“ She grit her teeth as she seethed in rage.

Shh.” I raised a finger to silence her as the sound of footsteps approaching sounded, and we all were soon surrounded. “Shit…” My heart rate increased as my adrenaline began to kick in. I already knew what would happen, and my body was reflexively getting ready.

  “There it is!” A guard pointed at me as they all came to a stop. “I-It has the merchandise!” The two girls cowered behind me as all the eyes turned to them. They were starved and rabid. My body tensed in anticipation.

  “It seems it does.” A new voice sounded. A sound I instantly recognized as an important character. In other words, it was the Duke.

  He emerged from the cluster of guards, his eyes locked onto mine as he adjusted the black glove on his right hand. If I hadn’t already known he was the Duke, how he dressed would have given it away. An all-red suit with a black tie and white undershirt along with black shoes. His walk was graceful and demanding of subservience.

  He was a handsome guy. He had a sharp jawline with a soft completion and luscious blonde hair, which he had tied in a small ponytail in the back while still allowing his bangs to rest against his forehead.

  “I thought you said the Intruder was a monster,” the Duke scoffed as he inspected me. “All I see in front of me is a Human with barely any magic power.” The sound of him pulling his rapier from its sheathe sounded. “How dare a weak, pitiful excuse of a man like you break into my estate and steal my property!” He exclaimed as he aimed his blade at me.

  “We are not your property!” Xion yelled back.

  “When did I say you could speak?” He glared at her. She hid behind me as a pale look crossed her face. I wondered how many times she had been told that and been punished for it. “I don’t know who you think you are, but a weak Human like you should know they stand no chance against me.” His attention turned towards me.

  “This guy is really full of himself, huh?” I thought as I rested a hand on my hip. “I bet the second I unsuppress my Miasma, he covers like-NNNNGH!” I nearly cried out in pain as his knee made contact with my gut, sending me off my feet and allowing him to Spartan kick me down the hall. “What the hell! I didn’t even-GAH!” I bit my tongue to stop myself from screaming as he stabbed his blade into my shoulder.

  “MR. RABBIT!” The Princess cried out.

  “How pathetic.” The Duke scoffed as he pressed his foot to my chest and dug the rapier in deeper. “Did you really think you could be a hero?” He grinned. “Did you think you’d save them and be rewarded? What were you expecting, hmm? Money? Fame? Oh, I know.” He chuckled as he leaned close to my ear. “You want to fuck them, don’t you, Mr. Rabbit?”

  “What the hell?! Absolutely not!” The man was crazy. I knew right then.

  “Don’t worry. I understand.” A sickening smile covered his face. “I want to as well. I planned on doing it tonight. But then you came and ruined it!” He kicked me in my gut. “You worthless, pitiful, weak vermin!” With each insult, he kicked me harder.