Chapter 70

"Can you not talk like that in public?" Ezra snorted from the reception desk. "No one wants to hear what you're going to do in private."

  "Oh? Were you listening?" I grinned as I looked over at her. "Did it make you jealous?"

  "Why would I be-"

  "It's okay," I reassured her as I walked toward her and rested my arms on the desk. "If you're shy about it," my eyes glowed softly. "I'm fine with a one-on-one." Her hair slowly spiked as her face flushed.

  "Sh-shut up!" She pushed me away from the desk. "I don't see you like that, you child!"

  "Child?" I scoffed at the word.

  "Yes! You're a child!" She snapped.

  "If you give me a chance," my eyes illuminated brighter. "I'll show you just how grown I really am." She shivered.

  "S-stop doing that!" She turned her head away. "S-stop looking at me with those eyes."

  "Sorry," I laughed softly. "I was just teasing you, is all."

  "Like hell I was." I thought. "If kissing her gave me ice magic, I wonder what I could get from more?" It wasn't like that was the only reason I wanted to seduce Ezra, but it was definitely a reason.

  Azrael said he wouldn't give me any more spells and that I had to get them myself. Kissing Ezra had managed to provide me with ice magic before, and I wanted to test if I could get more by furthering my relationship with her.

  As the Hero of Love, I knew I had to do whatever it took to get stronger to protect the ones I loved, even if it meant going against my nature as an anti-social shut-in. I had to get stronger.

  One could say I was strong enough as is and that I didn't need to get stronger, but that was hypocritical bullshit. The only ones who said 'you're strong enough' were the ones who wanted to see you fail. The ones who were doing everything behind your back to surpass you.

  If I was going to build a harem, that meant there would be more people I had to protect. That's why I had to get as strong as I could. At least, that's what Azrael had told me.

  It took a long while before I began to agree with him, but the month and a half I had spent with Nia in Ordon had slowly ignited something in me. Every time I held her, watched her sleep, watched her chest rise and fall, I would think of what the High Orc said to me.

  It wanted to hurt her. Who was to say other monsters or people wouldn't feel and try the same? If you genuinely wanted to hurt someone, it made sense to go after the ones they loved first. You would destroy them mentally and emotionally, then finish them when they were all that was left.

  I wouldn't allow anyone to hurt her, to lay their hands on her. Nia was...she was the star in my night sky. The light that illuminated the darkness in my heart. My doubts, my fears, my anxieties, they all vanished because of her. I would always love her for that, and I would cherish her dearly.

  I felt the same way with Sora, Rubellia, and Han. I would protect them. They may not have been the ones to save me from my old self, but they never gave up trying. For that, I would do anything for them, even if it put my life at risk. After all, it was better me than them.

  "See! And that's exactly what makes you a child!" Ezra barked. "It's all jokes with you! You don't even fight seriously, you Battle Junkie!" I smiled weakly as she began scolding me. "It's all smiles and fun with you! You torture those poor monsters! Play with them like a child plays with their food!"