Chapter 62

"Please, don't panic!" Nia grabbed hold of my arm. "We're evolved. That means-"

  "You don't have to worry," I reassured her as I patted her head. "I'm not going to run or anything." I stroked between her ears. Her throat vibrated in a loud purr as she leaned closer to me.

  "Mmm. Good." She closed her eyes as I continued to pet her.

  "You...aren't frightened by this knowledge?" Nia's mother asked in surprise.

  "Not really," I replied. "And at the Guild I work for, one of the receptionists is an Ice Yeti. Or an evolved one, at least. She's..." I paused. "She's something," I finished with a grumble.

  "Really?" Her mother was awed at my calmness. "But nobody knew we Beastkin were evolved monsters, not even the Demons when they lived. Aren't you shocked? Even a little?"

  "Hmph," I laughed softly through my nose as I used both hands to scratch Nia's ears. She pressed closer to me, forcing me on my back as she rested on my chest. "Nah. I don't really care what you are." I answered as I looked at her.

  "After all, I have Miasma as a Human. What does that make me?"

  "Do you truly wish to know?" Azrael asked.

  "I already know what I am," I scoffed in thought. "A Human. I'm just...a little different."

  "If you say so."

  "You're a strange boy, aren't you?" Her mother smiled as she watched me pet her daughter.

  I was enjoying myself if that wasn't obvious. I was fulfilling my dream of petting a cat girl. All that was left was to make her fall in love with me and marry me. Then we could live happily ever after.

  "Eh. I'd said I'm more of a non-judgmental guy, but it's whatever you want to say."

  "I say you're weird," Nia purred, her eyes still closed as she snuggled closer to me. She brought her legs closer to her chest as she continued. "But I like weird."

  "It's working! Phase one has been completed! Now for phase two!"

  "Do you?" I smiled as I ran one hand down her neck and back while the other still stroked her ears.

  "Mmmm." She rubbed her cheek against my chest as I repeated the motions.

  "Back to the topic at hand," Nia's mother started. "That's why they want to devour us; they want our Miasma. And because we're already evolved monsters, the Miasma they would gain would be enough to evolve all of them with just one bite."

  "So that's why they won't leave you alone, huh?" I said. "I think I get it."

  "Do you?" Her eyes widened.

  "I can't say for sure, but if they keep attacking in the hopes of devouring and evolving, I would reckon that they already have an evolved monster leading them."

  "You think that?" Azrael asked. "That would make no sense."

  "But that makes no sense," Nia's mother repeated Azrael's words. "If they had an evolved monster already, wouldn't it lead the charge? That would secure a higher chance of them getting at least one of us to devour. Maybe more, depending on where it's at in its evolution."

  "It's because they're strategizing," I replied as I continued to pet Nia. I had managed to make my way from her neck down to her lower spine. I was slowly getting closer and closer to her tail with each stroke. "They want to wear you down."