Chapter 5

"W-what is this!" Caz exclaimed as the coins fell into his hands.

  "Your payment," I answered bluntly. "What else would it be?"

  "Forty-nine, fifty!" Lilith exclaimed. "Fifty gold coins!" She looked at me in awe.

  "What? Why are you looking at me like that?"

  "Is there something on my face?"

  "This is...way too much!" She replied. "Most legendary weapons cost ten or fifteen gold!"

  "Hngh!"

  "Did'ja just croak?" Lilith chuckled. "You can take it back."

  "That'd look so uncool though!" I cried in thought.

  "I didn't do anything," I scoffed, trying to play off my mistake. "I gave you fifty because that's what you deserve. In fact," I reached into the bag and pulled out fifty more. "T-this is for taking me back here to train me." My body felt hot and flustered as I rambled and gave away more money. "Also, because she's special to you, and I'm taking her."

  "What am I doing!?" I kept trying to act cool and play off my mistakes, but it only led to a worse outcome.

  "KYA!" Lilith squealed in excitement. "Pa! Do ya know what this means?" She looked over at her father who had his arms crossed, eyes closed, and a smile on his face.

  "Yep. This should help us keep the shop open a while longer." He looked at his daughter.

  "Keep it open?" I repeated.

  "Shit, I said that out loud." I knew I was in for a dialog.

  "Don't worry about it." Caz waved his hand dismissively. "It's nothing a customer needs to worry abo-"

  "We're almost outta business." Lilith interrupted him, freezing me in my tracks from where I had tried to sneak off.

  "I-Is that so?" I laughed sheepishly as I quickly turned to face them.

  Caz grumbled about his daughter before sighing heavily and replying. "Well, our smithing shop isn't as famous as I'd like it to be. We aren't getting many customers, so we aren't getting much money."

  "Ah," I replied ambivalently.

  "I mean, that's how it works, right? No customers, no money, no shop."

  "We're a newer shop in this area," Caz continued, ignoring my blatant disinterest. "We set up here a few years ago after Rei passed. It was her dream to own a smithing shop in the capital. But since there were other smithing shops before us that people had gained trust with, we haven't had much of a client base." He sounded disappointed, but he also had a look in his eyes that said he wasn't surprised.

  "Well, it ain't over yet, Pa!" Lilith chirped. "With what he gave us, we can stay open longer! Plus, Maw wouldn' want us ta give up."

"Yeah, you're right. We have to keep our spirits high." His eyes ignited with passion.

"I see." I closed my eyes. "I like these two. They remind me of myself when I would play video games."

  There were times I wanted to give up. I felt stuck like I wouldn't move up or get better. But I kept at it and never faltered and grew from that. I was sure they would as well.

  "So, ya gonna become an adventurer?" Lilith asked, making small talk as her father returned to the back of the store.

  I hated it. Small talk, I mean. What was the point of it? By definition, small talk was used to fill in awkward gaps or pauses. And Lilith, as the one who initiated, was basically admitting she felt uncomfortable. I wanted to ignore her, but since they had helped so much, I felt I couldn't.