Chapter 48

I had already dropped the Princess off near the town entrance, knowing I couldn't get anywhere near it without the guards panicking. And the fact that I had the Princess with me made me worry they'd attack without hesitation.

  That meant it was me and Xion, and she hadn't said a word since I dropped the Princess off. I was running in the air, and her eyes followed the trail of ripples that were left behind me for a brief moment before vanishing.

  Every once in a while, she would look up at me, and when my gaze turned to hers, she would quickly look away. I could tell she was scared of me, yet she was conflicted with that fear.

  I had saved her and the Princess, yet I had ruthlessly killed those men. So, of course, she would doubt my intentions. She most likely feared that I would kill her if she said or did the wrong thing. I, of course, wouldn't. But I couldn't blame her for feeling that way.

  "You're...the Demon King, aren’t you?" Xion finally spoke, her eyes still following the trail of ripples behind me. I slowed my pace to a walk as she asked the question.

  I couldn't speak, so I couldn't honestly explain myself or the scenario. So, I had to continue with the lie I had told Sabrina with her, and I nodded my head in reply.

  "Then...why did you save us?" She asked. "The Demon King hates us Humans, Elves, and Beastkin, or at least he should." Her gaze turned to meet mine. "And you have every right to. We killed your people. Every single one of them. I'm sure you aren't just angry but sad and alone, too."

  I stopped and stood in the air. Her words, for whatever reason, had cut deep, and I felt a pull on my heart. It was a feeling I sympathized with, yet I failed to understand its origin.

  "Why won't you speak?" She asked. "It's scary. And that mask." She reached to grab it. "It looks creepy." I grabbed her wrist to prevent her from removing it, and fear filled her eyes.

  I quickly let go and averted my gaze as the vision of me burning the Duke's hand flashed in my eyes.

  "I'm sorry." She muttered. "It makes sense that you don't want your identity known. After all, you somehow managed to survive your childhood into adulthood. You probably did that by staying in hiding. The constant fear of being hunted and killed." Her hands tightened on my collar. "I know hearing it from one worthless Elf won't make a difference, but I'm sorry for what we did to you and you're people. I'm not the only one who feels like the decision was the wrong one; I'm just one of the few who will admit it aloud."

  A strange feeling began to bubble in my stomach. Regret? Sympathy? Forgiveness? Whatever it was, it lasted only a moment before vanishing.

  "Are you...taking me home?" Xion asked after a moment's pause. I nodded my head and began to walk once again through the air. "How do you know what village I come from?"

  "Shit. How do I explain that?" I thought.  It was difficult to explain anything without being able to speak, and I couldn't think of a lie to try and motion towards her either.

  "Did you hear about the Princess and me while you were incognito?" She gave me the perfect opportunity. I nodded my head. "So...did my father reach out to you? I thought he would reach out to the boy I met named Kichirou." I shook my head. "Then you heard by other means?" I nodded. "I see." She rested her head on my chest. "I wonder why Kichirou never came for me?" She whispered. "I was sure he would."

  "Don't make me feel bad! Wait...technically I did come for her though. It just took longer than it should have."

  "S-Sorry!" Xion apologized. "I'm not complaining that you saved me or anything. I'm glad you did. I just... wanted him to be my hero." She smiled softly. "It would be the perfect love story."

  "Is that so?" I thought with an internal sigh. It was probably a good thing I saved her as the Rabbit. I wasn't sure I could handle another girl. Though Xion seemed much more innocent than the other three, and she would probably be much easier to handle due to that fact.

  "There it is!" Xion exclaimed in joy as the sight of her village came into sight. "I'm finally home!" She began to tear up and sob softly as I slowly descended on the village, using my ripples like a staircase until I touched down at the entrance of the Elder's house.

  I immediately deactivated Flow and suppressed my Miasma just as the guards came out.

  "Halt! Who goes-Xion!" They exclaimed as they noticed her in my arms. I gently placed her down and ensured she was balanced on her feet before backing away slowly.

  "IT'S XION! SHE'S BACK!" The other guard cried out, and Luisham burst through the doors not even a few seconds later.

  "XION!" He cried as he ran to her. They met each other halfway and embraced each other tightly. "My baby girl!" He cried as she ran his hands on her back and hair. "Are you okay? Are you hurt?" He inspected her for injuries.

  "I'm fine, Papa," she whimpered softly as she wiped away her tears. "He saved me." She pointed towards me. I waved meekly as his gaze turned to me.

  "And who is this exactly?" He asked as he eyed me suspiciously. I couldn't blame him for that.

  "He's..." she paused for a moment. "Well, he doesn't speak, so I don't know his name. But he saved Princess Star, and she called him Mr. Rabbit. So that's what I call him."

  "He saved Princess Star?" Luisham's eyes widened. "Mr. Rabbit..." he paused. "No, I'll just call you Rabbit. Thank you." He bowed. "Thank you for saving my daughter." I waved a hand dismissively. "Is there any way I can repay you?" I shook my head in reply. "Are you sure?" He asked in awe. "You don't want anything in return." I shook my head again before turning my back to them and waving.

  I had to return before sunrise. Well, I didn't have to, but I wanted to. There was no reason for me to stay any longer than I had to, and I wanted to relax a little and clear my mind before the next day, which would be full of quests and, I was sure, strange scenarios from Sora and Rubellia.

  "Thank you again!" Luisham called after me as I headed toward the forest.

  "Please come visit again," Xion called after me. "I promise next time to look more appealing, and I'll cook for you too. My thanks to you." I turned and waved one last time before stepping into the thicket of the forest and vanishing from their sight.