SEVEN

Chan was lying flat on his back on his bed that had been pushed up against the window to make room for the three other beds that Jaebeom had very kindly moved into there with the help of some of the stronger members of Stray Kids gang. There was four single beds in the room now; one for Chan, one for Jaehwi, one for Jeongin and one for Seungmin. The two couples in the gang had agreed to share a bedroom, because no one really wanted to share one with those loved up idiots.

Jeongin was also laying on his bed, his laptop out as he typed away, working on an assessment for college. It sometimes amazed Chan how much motivation that boy had to barely pass his classes and still keep up with the gang. On the other hand, Chan also felt extremely guilty for pulling the youngest into this kind of lifestyle. He was harsh enough for it, but no one should be going through what they do on a daily basis.

Their lives are threatened everyday by forces outside of their control, and it was terrifying having a powerful gang such as G-Dragon's hanging around.

"Jeongin?" Chan calls out softly.

The younger looks up from his laptop, humming in response.

"...why are you even part of this gang?" Chan sighs. "You should be focused on studies and being a normal member of society. I know you were forced into this because of your family, but fuck, you shouldn't have been"

Jeongin raised an eyebrow, extremely confused.

"I don't know if you're being nice or insulting me or what, but as you said, I was forced into this life because of my family"

"So why stay?"

Jeongin falls silent, not really knowing how to answer that.

"You're young Innie" Chan says. "You shouldn't be risking your life in a gang with no allies"

"We're allied with the X Clan for now though, right?" Jeongin frowns, though the mention of the X Clan sends a wave of rage through the younger.

"For now," Chan scoffed, "after we defeat GD's gang and the Bangtan Boys, we'll be hunted down and slaughtered by Felix and his allies"

"Well, for now we're safe from the X Clan at least" Jeongin sighs before shutting his laptop and looking Chan dead in the eyes. "I know I'm the youngest member, so maybe my opinion doesn't mean much here, but since you became the leader, this gang has been running more like a proper gang instead of a bunch of police dogs. I mean, with all respect, the police are technically our dogs now" Chan laughs at that as Jeongin continues, "I've stayed on this long because of you. In the beginning, you wanted nothing to do with this life, but I stayed because you became the leader like you were meant to. Yes, I've had several experiences where I could have died, and so have you, and so have all the others, but I can guarantee that you're the reason why we all stayed together"

Chan was rendered speechless. He never knew the youngest felt that way.

"You know" Chan muttered, "I always thought you hated me for some reason"

Jeongin smirked. "I may be a hardass, but I'm not heartless. You're like the older brother I wish I actually had"

Chan smiled. "Innie?"

"Hm?"

"Your opinion means a lot more than you think it does. You're the youngest member, and I'll protect you with my own body if need be"

Jeongin smiles widely, which warms Chan's heart. The youngest doesn't smile like that very often, and so Chan mentally saves that smile in his head. Jeongin was like family to Chan as well, and suddenly, Chan wondered if the rest of them felt that way about him too. He knows they obviously think of him as their leader, but he genuinely wonders if they all think of him as family or if, to some of them, he was expendable.

A soft smile tugs at his lips then, because really, he wouldn't mind if he was expendable to some of his gang members either way. What was important is that they are his family, and he'll protect them no matter what...