THIRTY-NINE

Warning: y'all are gonna wanna kill me for what i'm about to do in this chapter. TBH I was dreading writing this chapter but it had to be done and I'm really sorry in advance >~<

Changbin's group had to split up and go through the alleyways to get to where the fire was. Unfortunately, the main road was blocked off by the police and firemen, and as much they wanted to run straight to where Jae is and kill him, they had to check out this fire situation first.

When they got there, the first thing they noticed was the screaming. They could hear children screaming. Yuchan had to turn away, and even Changbin felt like he was going to be sick. Sehyoon scanned the area, his eyes locking onto a figure standing far away from the blaze.

"GD's here" Sehyoon says, "and that means Jae isn't too far away"

"He might be over with the cops on the main road," Changbin says, turning to Sehyoon, "we have to wait until they're gone. I'll call Shownu and tell him the situation"

"Chan told us to kill anyone who was in our way" Jisung hissed, "so why the fuck aren't we doing that!?"

Yuchan smacks him over the head, earning a glare from Jisung.

"Because we're not fucking dumbasses who rush into danger like yourself! We have to make sure we're not seen by neither Jae nor GD. If either of them see us, we're fucked!" Yuchan whisper yells.

Meanwhile, as Changbin is explaining the situation to Shownu, who's now back at the warehouse is relaying the info to Chan and Felix.

Changbin hangs up the phone after a couple of minutes, turning to the others. "The remainder of the ATEEZ gang went further North towards Sam's territory. They think Hongjoong may have followed them that way"

A silence falls over them as they watch the fire. Changbin keeping an eye on GD's movements. He doesn't notice Jae walking past until it's a little too late. He curses, and they all drop lower to the ground in the darkness of the alley. Changbin knows Jae saw them by the way he stares into the alley. They lock eyes for a split second, and...Jae continues walking.

"He fucking saw us" Jeongin snaps, "the fuck!?"

"Guilty conscience I guess" Jisung spits. "We're still gonna kill the fucker though, fucking traitor"

Changbin says nothing, watching Jae wander over to GD and whisper something to him. He doesn't know what Jae is saying, but his stomach drops when GD glances over at the alley they're hiding in. Changbin turns to the others, a fear in his eyes that is extremely uncharacteristic for him. It even has chills going up Sehyoon's spine.

"We need to go back" Changbin says, "now"

:::

At the hideout, Chan is pacing, grumbling and going on about how stupid and fucked up this situation is. He wishes he could have figured Jae out earlier. He thinks he could have figured all of this out earlier.

"You couldn't have known this was coming" Shownu says, "I don't think any of us did. I don't think even Felix really knew this would happen"

"I still feel..." Chan pauses, controlling his anger for a moment, "I still feel responsible for this. I could have stopped any of this from happening if I'd known"

Shownu shakes his head, "no, it was Jae's choice to do this. If anyone's responsible for this shit, it's him"

"It's also kind of Felix's fault" Kihyun pipes up, "little devil he is"

A silence falls over the three of them for a few moments before Kihyun speaks again.

"I'm glad Felix has you" Kihyun says quietly, "as much as I know you hated him before, at least you figured out your feelings and told him. Otherwise, he probably would have killed you"

Chan manages a small half smile nodding in agreement.

Before anyone can say anything else, San says that he can see GD on the drone cameras. Shownu and Kihyun share a look before the two are speed walking out of the warehouse.

"Hey wait-" Felix starts as he grabs his weapon and goes to follow them.

"Babe, no" Chan says, "they can handle this. GD most likely isn't alone. They can handle themselves, you know that.

Felix wants to bite back, wants to turn around and tell Chan off for speaking to him like a child, but he manages to get a grip on himself.

He just hopes they don't do anything stupid...

:::

While Kihyun and Shownu are out scouting the area after San had seen Jae and GD hanging around just outside of where the drones were, Felix was on edge the whole time. He almost had gone running after them, but he knew that would be a terrible idea given he was still quite injured. Although, Kihyun had almost died but Shownu would look after him.

It was at that thought that they heard it. A gunshot and a guttural shout. San turned back to the cameras and cursed out loud. Before he could say anything, there was another gunshot and a scream.

"Felix, it's-"

San didn't have to say anything. Chan gives him a stern look, a warning for him not to be stupid but it's too late. Felix is already bolting out of the warehouse. Chan let's out a curse before running after him, but not before grabbing a gun from Changkyun. By the time they make it outside, GD had already disappeared.

Felix is frantically looking around, his heart beating at an abnormal speed...and then he sees them.

Shownu...dead. There's a bullet wound in his head that's still leaking blood.

Kihyun...bleeding out and barely alive.

Felix feels...fear. Pure and unfiltered fear at seeing Shownu dead and Kihyun barely alive. These two are the ones that treated him like he was their own son, in a way. Felix would have happily let them adopt him given a chance.

Now...now it's all just gone to shit.

Felix's feet move on their own. He walks over to where Kihyun is, his heart pounding so loudly he can hear it. Chan's shout of 'Felix, be careful' fade into the background. Everything around him fades to a blur and all he can focus on is getting to Kihyun.

Behind him, Chan is cursing up a storm. This is bad, very bad. Shownu and Kihyun were two of the strongest in the X Clan, and now they've lost them.

Felix falls to his knees next to Kihyun. Kihyun is still alive, but he's losing consciousness fast.

"Fe...lix" Kihyun's voice is so quiet Felix almost doesn't hear him.

"Yeah?" Felix whispers, his brain still processing what is actually happening.

He's lost Shownu.

He's losing Kihyun.

He's lost Shownu.

He's losing Kihyun.

"I..." Kihyun chokes a little, tears running down his face, "I lo...ve you kiddo. W...we bo-both do"

Felix doesn't realise he's crying, nor does he notice Chan squat down behind him, the older wrapping his arms around.

"I'll look after him Kihyun. I promise" Chan whispers.

"No...no, I can't lose you" Felix whimpers, "not you"

Kihyun manages a small smile.

"S-sorry kiddo..." Kihyun chokes a little again, turning his face away.

Chan knows the moment Kihyun is gone before Felix realises he is. Chan sees the way Kihyun stops breathing and goes completely limp. Felix is in denial.

'GD is gonna fucking pay for this...'

Ooooookay, imma end this here. Holy FUCK, I hated writing every second of that >~<

Question: Your favourite moment or moments in this book or the first book and why

My answer: My favourite moment is when Felix had a mental breakdown over the realisation that he actually liked Chan. I felt like that moment was really needed because it showed that even though Felix is an actual psycho, he's still human and he feels human emotions OwO