Chapter 5

Crimson's POV:

I'd been at the school for a few days and had settled into somewhat of a routine. Get up, check-in with Hank, do whatever Charles needs done, wander around the school, hang out with Peter, read, and then bother Hank again. Today was no different I decided it was time for my afternoon bother Hank. I made my way to the lab and walked in quietly so I could watch Hank in his process.

He was comparing two different photos of cells and mumbling to himself. I rarely understand what he's doing but it always looks and sounds really cool. I made my presence known by knocking on a table. Hank turned and looked at me still holding the photos in his hands. 

"Can you help me with something?" Hank asked. Although I didn't know exactly how I could help Hank with something I agreed anyways. I settled in a chair across from Hank. He slid the photos over to me. He pulled out a pen and pointed to a part of one of the pictures. "You see these smaller cells here, they move much faster than the larger ones. However, the larger ones are more sturdy and take up more space," Hank said.

"Okay, what's your question then?" I asked Hank. Curious as to where he was going with this.

"Right. I should've explained, these are your cells. The reasons you can heal is because these larger cells clot together to seal the wound and the smaller ones work to fix the actual internal injury. I need to know what to do them to make you heal faster and how to stop your pain receptors from functioning," Hank continued. 

"How can I help?" I asked still confused as to why he needs my help.

"I need to find a way to temporarily disable the cells from healing at their normal speed so that I can get to your pain receptors before the cut closes. What I need from you is to convince Charles to let us use the walk-in freezer," Hank told me. 

"Sounds easy enough, any tips on persuading him," I asked.

"Use Erik, Charles loves to disagree with him. You could bring it up at dinner!" Hank exclaimed.

"Wait dinner? Everyone here just eats on their own schedule?" I asked confused.

"Every Sunday Charles makes everyone get together for a big dinner," Hank said.

"Well, then we better get ready to charm him tonight and get Erik ready to argue," I said thrilled at the idea of messing with Erik.

"I've got an idea to get Erik on edge..." Hank continued leaning in to whisper the idea to me.

"Hank McCoy you are an evil genius," I said beaming at the scientist. 

Several hours later

I sat around the large circular dinner table in between Hank and Peter. Hank's leg was bouncing up and down with fear or excitement I don't know. Peter looked at the door in anticipation. I had to rope him in because he was the only one with what we needed to mess with Erik. Everyone else was at the table waiting for Erik.

"Professor where is Erik?" Kurt asked completely oblivious to what we had done. Charles raised his hand to his temple for a few moments.

"He- uh should be here soon. Just a reminder that we look a little different and we shouldn't bring it up" Charles said as Peter struggled to keep it together. Everyone else looked around confused trying to find out what was going on. Then Erik entered the room and I struggled to contain my laughter.

"Which one of you thought it would be funny to make me blonde?" Erik asked dead serious. Everyone else looked around in confusion a few people giggled before getting a glare from Charles. I looked over at Hank whose face was bright red from trying to contain his laughter. Peter cracked first finally bursting out with laughter, his whole body shaking as he tried to regain his composure. Soon the whole room had dissolved into a fit of hysterical laughter, except for Erik. "This isn't funny", Erik said looking around the room trying to find the culprit. 

"It is funny though," Scott said in between laughs. Charles who had joined in on the laughter looked at Erik and just nodded. Eventually, the laughter died down and everyone sat down to actually start the meal. Erik glared at me and my spoon dropped my food onto my lap more than a few times. 

"So what have you all been working on this week?" Charles asked the group.

"I've been trying to increase my energy," Kurt stammered out.

"I've been helping Peter with his agility," Raven said next. I finally gathered the courage to begin my proposal to Charles. 

"Well, Hank and I have been working on improving my abilities and we actually wanted to propose an idea," I said locking eyes with Charles.

"Whatever it is, no" Erik said. Looks like we got him exactly where we wanted him.

"I wasn't asking you, Betty White," I said. Out of the corner of my eye, I could see Alex spit out his drink and Kurt whisper to Raven. Erik started to say something before Charles cut him off.

"What's the proposal?" Charles asked while Erik looked between me and Charles.

"We want to do a procedure in the walk-in freezer so that Hank can work on the inside of my body without the cuts closing up too quickly," I explained. 

"You want to do a surgery in my freezer?" Charles asked.

"Yes, the freezer would slow Crimson's cells down and give me time to sort of deactivate her pain receptors" Hank explained. 

"I guess that sounds reasonable, just make sure to clean up afterwards," Charles said much to my surprise. Erik turned to face Charles.

"There is absolutely no way you're serious. What if something goes wrong and she can't heal in time because of the cold? What the cut closes while Hank's hands are still inside her?" Erik continued.

"Erik, medicine can't advance without taking some risks," Charles continued. The two continued as everyone else returned to chatting with each other. Hank nudged my shoulder and held his glass up.

"Looks like the plan worked," he said.

"It certainly does," I added clinking my glass against his. I waited till he took a sip before leaning in and whispering, "Just make sure you don't prove Erik right," I whispered causing Hank to nearly choke on his drink. Charles cleared his throat getting everyone's attention again.

"We'll be going along with your plan, but Kurt will be ready to take Crimson to a warm environment as soon as Hank is done," Charles said smiling at us while Erik folded his arms and pouted like a kid who got his toy taken away. 

At the end of the meal

"Well since they make such a great team why don't Crimson and Hank handle the dishes tonight," Erik suggested. Everyone else agreed just happy to be relieved of dish duty. Erik smirked as everyone else got up to turn in for the night. Everyone said their goodnights as they went up to bed. Once the room was emptied out I turned to Hank.

"We get to do the procedure and Erik is blonde? I'd say we won tonight," I said as I started to gather up all the plates. Hank chuckled while gathering the cups and silverware.

"You're sure you want to let me cut you open and remove your ability to feel pain?" Hank asked changing the tone of the conversation completely.

"I won't lie I'm nervous, but I trust you. Charles told me what you did for me before you even knew me," I confessed to Hank. Hank nodded taking in what I'd told him.

"Do you think Erik knows we put the dye in his shampoo?" Hank asked breaking the silence. 

"I think he has his suspicions, but Peter certainly looks guilty too," I added.

"But Peter didn't get dish duty," Hank continued scrubbing away at the dishes. 

"I think the dishes might be because he really doesn't like us," I said remembering when he lifted me up just to drop me. We finished up the dishes and made our way up to the third floor. We split off and went to our separate rooms. I opened up my door before hearing Hank whisper yell across the hallway,

"Goodnight Crimson"

"Goodnight Hank"