Chapter 7

Crimson's POV:

Charles had informed me last night that I would finally begin actual training today with Scott in the bomb shelter. Although I was confused as to why Charles' school had a bomb shelter I was excited to start actually training. After some searching and a helpful set of directions from Jean, I had found the literal bomb shelter. I know it's called a bomb shelter, but it's way different when you actually enter. 

I walked through the blast doors and saw Scott waiting in the long concrete tunnel. He was laying some mats on the floor and had a box in the corner. There was also one of those fence things baseball pitchers use so they don't get hit. Scott turned to face me.

"Welcome to the best spot in the school!" He said excitedly gesturing to the bomb shelter. It was kind of dark inside but that didn't stop Scott from wearing sunglasses. "This is my favorite spot because you can't really break anything and you're far away from everyone else," he continued. Scott then removed his glasses and red lasers shot from his eyes as he burned a happy face into the wall. He slid his glasses back on. 

"You know, I understand the sunglasses inside now," I joked getting a laugh from Scott. 

"Because your ability is healing you'll have to train in a different way," Scott said gesturing to the mats on the floor. "If you'll join me we can start with some sparring," he continued on. I walked over and joined him getting into a better stance. "How much experience do you have with this type of thing?" Scott asked.

"A lot actually, should I go easy on you?" I asked him egging him on a bit. 

"No, cause I won't be going easy either," He said while I think making eye contact with me. He got into a proper stance and it was on. We lunged at each other grabbing each other's arms. I took the opportunity to kick at the inside of his leg making him go down he pulled me down as he went. I had him down when he used leg and pushed all weight onto my side causing us to flip with him now on top. I pushed all my strength into his arms causing him to tumble backward and I was back on top, but running out of energy. I slid my arm under one of his legs and pressed the other one against his collarbone. He struggled around for a bit before tapping the mat. We both stood up panting a bit. "You're a whole lot stronger than you look," Scott said between breaths. 

"I have no idea how you kept those glasses on," I said wondering if they were fastened some kind of way. 

"I've got a lot of practice with them," Scott answered.

"You ready for round two?" I asked feeling energized again.

"Hell yeah," Scott answered getting back onto the mat.

Several Rounds Later

"Alright I think it's time we move to the next thing," Scott said. I nodded in agreement ready for something a little less tiring. "So we're gonna work on testing your ability to feel pain and getting rid of that instinct to flinch," Scott explained. 

"Where to first?" I asked.

"Stand behind the fence over there and try to stay still while I do everything I can to make you flinch," Scott said looking mischievous. I did as he said and stood about a foot behind the fence. Scott stood a few feet away with his box. He started grabbing baseballs and throwing them at the fence. I flinched hard at first but got used to it more. I gained more confidence then Scott stepped closer. He picked up a large medicine ball and threw it level with my face. I flinched just a little bit. Scott walked up to the fence, "You're doing much better already," he reassured me. Then he quickly threw a punch at the fence and I took a whole step back in instinct. "When you get into the rhythm of just standing there the balls don't have any effect, but the instinct is still there," he continued on. 

"So how do we get rid of it?" I questioned.

"I am so glad you asked," Scott said a little too excited. "I want you to stand at that end of the tunnel and walk in a straight line towards me no matter what," he continued on. I went to the end of the tunnel and he gave me a thumbs up. I started walking as he grabbed stuff from his box. He began to throw darts at me. I flinched at first, but when they didn't hurt I stopped moving towards him steadily. I got about ten feet from him when reached into his box again and pulled out a crossbow and began firing bolts at me which embedded in my shoulders. I finally reached him and he held up his hand for a high five, which I gladly gave him. 

"How'd I do?" I asked.

"Pretty good for your first time, I'll see you here again the day after tomorrow," Scott said. "Be sure to clean the darts and bolts before giving them back," he joked. I said my goodbyes to Scott and went off to my room to pull the various objects out.