Chapter 54

Crimson's POV:

I pointed to a part of the diagram on the board. 

"This is a hydraulic shock, designed by myself. When hit when a high level of force this plate will use the force to slowly push against the water. Then the water will move through the small gaps on the side to relieve the pressure, this movement absorbs the energy from the collision," I explained while the students took notes. I heard a commotion from downstairs and my students seemed to hear it too.

"Ms. Drake you can't take her out in the middle of the school year," Charles tried to explain. 

"It is Ms. Bass-Drake I'll have you know and I can do whatever I want with my daughter!" Ms. Bass-Drake yelled. The sound of a crying baby echoed through the school. 

"Miss, I'm sorry, but your daughter isn't ready to go into the human world yet," Charles explained. I looked at my students and sighed. 

"I'm going to investigate the disturbance, try to stay somewhat on task while I'm gone," I spoke. The kids nodded and immediately stopped working. I walked out of my classroom in a haste in the direction of the noise. The woman I presumed to be Ms. Bass-Drake had a baby in one of her arms and was grabbing Desiree's arm with the other. A very frustrated Charles was trying his best to rationalize with the crazed mother, but he was getting nowhere. I spoke up to the group, "Ms. Bass-Drake have you ever once thought about what is best for your daughter. She is happy here and is learning how to control and utilize her gifts, you, on the other hand, are completely out of control". Ms. Bass-Drake let go of Desiree who quickly backed up behind Charles, while her mother stormed toward me and proceeded to spit in my face. 

"You're a monster and I won't have you anywhere near my daughter any longer!" Ms. Bass-Drake yelled. 

"MS.BASS-DRAKE you're daughter is a hero! That sorry excuse for a king came here with an army and tried to kill all the children here and your daughter saved their lives. Your daughter saved the lives of TWO-HUNDRED CHILDREN and you are here to force her to leave?" I explained. 

"She what?" Ms. Bass-Drake explained. 

"The King had a high-speed plane headed straight for this school and your daughter stopped it, she saved us, all of us, she's a hero, not a monster," Charles spoke. 

"Mom, they're telling the truth and I don't want to leave. I'm happy here, I get to use my gift to help people, I have friends and I'm not an outcast anymore," Desiree stated. 

"I'm leaving and if you don't come with me then you're no daughter of mine," Ms. Bass-Drake gave her ultimatum.

"If you don't accept me for how I am, then I don't want to be your daughter," Desiree responded. Ms. Bass-Drake turned around and stormed out of the school. Desiree ran in another direction and that left me and Charles in the main hall. 

"How many parents have done that?" I asked not entirely sure I wanted the answer. 

"She's the first to actually come down here, but twenty-five have called so far," Charles spoke solemnly. 

"Start making Erik answer those calls, he did this," I said starting to return to my class. 

"He's sorry, you know!" Charles called after me. 

"Then why isn't he here fixing his mess, you have to stop cleaning up after him Charles," I called back. 

"You're here too," Charles responded. 

A Few Days Later

I woke up in our bed as always and Hank was already awake and reading while sat up against the headboard. 

"Morning love," He spoke putting his book down. 

"Morning bones, you seem extra cheery for a weekday," I noted sitting up against the headboard with him. 

"Did Charles not tell you? All the kids are gone on a field trip and everyone else went with them, it's just the two of us 'till the evening," Hank announced. 

"Isn't that a little dangerous?" I asked concerned. 

"They're not going any populated and everyone else is there to protect them, it'll be fine," Hank reassured. 

"Then let's enjoy the peace of not having any kids or adults who are basically children around," I joked earning a chuckle from Hank. 

"Fancy a walk?" Hank questioned. 

"I'd love that," I responded. 

We got dressed and walked out onto the school grounds. I looked around and took in the wonderful and peaceful sight of the school. 

"The view really is beautiful," Hank spoke. 

"Charles does have a lovely property," I remarked. 

"I wasn't talking about the property," Hank whispered giving me a kiss on the cheek. We walked along the lake a little longer in comfortable silence. "Did I ever tell you how lucky I am to have you?" Hank asked. 

"Only all the time, but a reminder never hurts," I replied smoothly. Why he's being extra sweet today? Hank suddenly stopped walking and I turned to face him. 

"I'd like to be lucky forever," Hank spoke while getting down on one knee and pulling out a small box. 

My mind went a million miles an hour. DON'T PANIC! IT'S HAPPENING! EVERYBODY STAY CALM! 

"Will you make me the happiest and luckiest man ever and do me the absolute honor of marrying me?" Hank asked. 

I didn't even need to think, it was the easiest decision in the world. 

"Of course!" I replied. Hank quickly got up and we wrapped each other in a huge hug. Hank lifted me off the ground and spun us in a circle. 

"I love you more than you could ever know," Hank spoke.

"We have got a lifetime to show each other, just how much we love each other," I replied. We pulled apart and Hank slid the ring onto my finger. 

"I made sure to make it from something extra strong, but non-metal," Hank spoke overjoyed. 

"We'll have to make you one that can stretch," I joked. 

A Couple Of Hours Later

Hank and I were walking through the main hall when the doors were quickly pushed open. Peter sped inside and stopped right in front of us. He glanced down at my hand. 

"IT'S HAPPENING!" Peter yelled and awkwardly hugged both of us. Soon more of the staff started coming in through the doors. Scott ran over and Peter yelled to the group, "GUYS, IT'S REALLY HAPPENING!". Scott too wrapped us all in a hug. 

"SHE SAID YES, I KNEW IT!" Scott exclaimed. The two boys broke away from us and soon Logan approached. He gave a hug first.

"Congrats sis, I can't wait to walk you down the aisle" He spoke quietly. Then surprisingly he gave Hank a hug and Hank looked visibly alarmed. "Don't fuck this up," Logan threatened and he backed away. 

Charles and Erik approached next, Charles right up to us and gave us each a hug, while Erik awkwardly hung back a few feet away. "I'm so happy for you two, you guys deserve the world," Charles spoke. I looked over at Erik and cautiously approached him. 

"Congratulations," Erik spoke awkwardly. 

"Screw this, come here," I said momentarily putting aside our disagreements. Erik wrapped me in a bear hug and I don't think he wanted to let go. Eventually, he did let me free of his embrace. 

I walked back over to Hank and we stood on one of the couches to gather the confused students' attention. Hank clapped in a random pattern and the students copied him. They all looked at us, some more confused than others. 

"We're engaged!" We announced to the school. A chorus of applause of cheers came from the crowd. For the time being, we were on top of the world, but all good things must come to an end, the only question is when.