Chapter 77: Friendship, Ditching, and Ziplines

Crimson's POV:

I walked into the lobby of the fanciest hotel I'd ever seen. Certainly smells like Vegas, also known as cigarettes and mistakes. I walked further into the massive lobby and spotted someone I recognized sitting down on an oversized chair. 

"It's gonna be a fun week," I spoke getting the attention of the man. 

"Maybe we just tell Charles we couldn't find the mutant," He replied.

"Erik, he's a telepath..." I responded. 

"Unfortunately," Erik added.

"He'd probably let us get away with it," I stated. 

"I can be very... persuasive," Erik spoke in a suave voice.

"Ew," I replied. 

We checked in and went up to our hotel room. Erik instantly went to investigate the bathrobes. I looked at the envelope with our information in it and debated doing our actual job. Erik's eyes latched onto the envelope and his grin faded. 

"You're not seriously debating this are you?" Erik questioned. 

"We could just see who it is," I bargained. 

"Fine, but we are not doing work," Erik agreed. 

I reached into the envelope and pulled out the information. I read through newspaper clippings about a teenage boy named Christopher Sarantakos who could phase through objects and walls. It appears he also has an interest in magic or what people believe is magic. I got an idea, but I would have to trick Erik. So no cons really. 

"So what do you wanna do?" I asked.

"It's Vegas just walk around and we'll find a party," Erik stated. 

"Deal, but we're changing first," I spoke. 

Five Minutes Later

"Looking snazzy Mr. Lehnsherr," I remarked looking at Erik in his suit. 

"Looking quite beautiful Mrs. McCoy," Erik responded. 

"Shall we?" I asked. 

"We shall," Erik confirmed. 

Twenty Minutes Later

Erik and I are walking down the strip when he taps my arm and points up to the sky. I watch as two people fly by on a zipline across the sky, going from the top of one building to another. Erik doesn't even have to say anything, the look on his face tells me everything I need to know. We weaved through the crowd of people and excitedly made our way toward the building people were coming from. We entered the building and quickly entered an elevator. 

"You know there really is nothing better than being surrounded by metal like this," Erik explained gesturing to the elevator. 

"You have an unhealthy attachment to metal," I stated blankly. 

"I do not!" Erik defended raising his voice slightly. 

"Remember what you did when we got home from prison?" I asked. 

"I thought we agreed not to talk about that?!" Erik questioned his face turning slightly red. 

"You agreed," I teased. 

"You nodded your head!" Erik exclaimed. 

"Did I though?" I questioned. 

"Yes, you did!"

"No, I didn't!"

"Did too!"

"Nuh-uh!"

"YOU AGREED!"

"I DID NO SUCH THING!"

"YES-"

"NO!"

It came to my attention that the doors had in fact opened and everyone on the rooftop was staring at us with perplexed expressions. Erik's face had gone fully red and I guessed mine had too. The elevator doors started to close and we quickly rushed outside; bumping into each other in the process and then tumbling to the ground in a heap of tangled limbs. We quickly untangled ourselves and scrambled off the ground. Awkward tension filled the space and we approached the employee by the ledge. 

"I take you two wanna get across?" They asked. 

"Yes," I answered. 

"Right, so put these harnesses on and pull the straps nice and tight," They instructed handing us two harnesses. 

"I know what I'm doing," Erik whispered very quietly under his breath. 

I pulled my harness on and started to adjust the straps. I glanced up and saw Erik was somehow already done. I looked away and focused my fixing my harness. Once I was also finished, we approached the employee again. They didn't say anything they just walked behind us and latched something onto the back of our harnesses. They then took the strap that was attached to us and attached it to the zipline. 

"Now jump," They instructed. 

I approached the ledge of the building and looked down. The ground was several hundred feet down. I heard Erik walk next to me. 

"You sure about this?" I asked. 

Erik didn't answer. 

Erik jumped. 

Author's Note:

Sorry to leave you on a cliffhanger or well, a cliff jumper. 

I originally intended to get more of this section Vegas done before today, but well, that didn't work out. Anyways, I'm going on vacation (not to Vegas!), so no updates until at least August 2nd. 

Shameless (semi-shameful) promo! I post very often on my X-Men TikTok account @hankmccoypleasemarryme 

My dms/messages are always open if ever have any questions about the story

Thank you all and I'll be back soon!