Part 3 Chapter 7

Since the blasting curse in Carrow's class I had become somewhat famous around the school. People whispered as I passed and gave me approving nods. I tried my best to stay out of the spotlight though. I didn't perform at full ability in classes and tried to stay out of the common room. Draco had kept an eye on me everywhere I went to make sure Carrow or Snape wouldn't meet with me alone in any corridors. 

Frieda, Grace and Liona tried to understand my choice of dating a death eater while trying to stay as far away from the subject as possible. We had things to talk about, but somehow every conversation ended up being about death eaters or the upcoming war we felt were coming. 

I had tried to figure out ways in order to visit the library at night during my pretend studies there during day time. My plans so far was to simply sneak out and do my best not to be caught. I had tried my best to find books about maledictus in the open sections at the library, but so far nothing. 

One day as I visited the library alone, I walked up to the shelves just next to the rope dividing the restricted section to the open. Madame Pince sat at her usual desk and I pretended to look over the books closest to me. They were all in black or grey leather. Some were about magical plants, Bolivian astrology and... There was one book that caught my eyes for some reason. The binding was partly broken and the text on the back was almost impossible to read. Defense Against the Dark Arts volume 1. I think I could make out from the faded white letters. Something felt odd about it though. It looked like an old text book and the name of the author Was nearly impossible to understand. I pulled it out from the shelf, but at soon as I held it in my hand the book transformed into a completely different book. In my hand I now held a shiny black leather book with red letters.

Experience the Dark Arts,  An anthology by Lord Voldemort 

I almost dropped the book after reading the name of the author. I looked around to see if anyone around me had noticed. What was this book doing in the library, and in the open section?

I put the book back in the shelf and saw how it transformed into the worn out book about DEDA. I looked at my hands as if trying to see that everything was alright with me. I touched the book again and it revealed the shiny version. I felt my heart beat fast in my chest. Was this something only I saw or was this actually part of the library. I felt terrified touching it, but I grabbed it and walked over to the desk where Madame Pince sat. She looked up from her book and examined me and the book I was holding.

"That's a very old copy of the required textbooks from the 1940's you're holding. If you are looking for useful textbooks I would suggest the required readings mentioned in your literature list provided by your teacher." Pince said and looked at me with a bored look before looking down in her book again. She didn't see what I saw then? She only saw the old and worn out book.

"Could I borrow this anyway?" I said and put it on her desk. I was amazed by the fact that she didn't see the actual book. There must be some kind of jinx around it, or curse. This might be stupid. I shouldn't borrow this one.

"If you truly need to. It is very well used so I expect it to be returned in the same condition as now. I'll have it back here in two weeks." Madame Pince said and scribbled down something in a large book next to her.

"I will. Thank you." I said and grabbed the book to leave the library. I felt my hand shake as I carried it out the doors and down towards the dungeons.

"Adeline!" Frieda came running after me down the stairs. "Hi!" 

I tried my best not to look too terrified and gave her a smile. "Hi!"

"What is that?" Fried asked and nodded at the book in my arms. 

"Oh! Just a book from the library." I said and held it out for her. I examined her face to see what she actually saw. She grabbed it from my hand and turned it around and opened it.