part 2 chapter 14

5 O'clock came the meeting with Slughorn. I had almost forget it untill I heard students outside the dorm.

I hurried to change out of my robes and then went down to his office and knocked the door.

"Come in!" I heard him and slowly opened the door. He was looking through his shelves as I came in.

"Please sit down miss Radcliff. I just have to find an ingredience for tomorrows potion class. Ah! Here it is. The transylvanian bat's tonenails." He held up a brown small bag and put it on his desk before turning to me. I sat down on the chair next to his desk.

"You probably wonder why I have called you here." He said and I smiled and nodded. "Yes professor, actually I do."

"Well, miss Radcliff. You see, I believe you have a great knowledge in potion and just want to talk to you some more. I believe your friend Blaise Zabini told you some about our meetings when he brought you to the christmas party." Slughorn looked at me with his strange smile. I opened my mouth to say something but he was faster.

"I believe I heard you're living with Eliza Winderwall? I knew her when she was a student. But unfortunatley I don't remember your parents. Being as old as me I might even have taught your grandparents." He laughed at the last and looked at his wall. There were pictures of important students he had taught during their schoolyear. As a fosterkid in Norway I didn't really know any of them.

"Yes I am, professor. Moved in about a year ago. Transfered from Durmstrang." I said and his smile widened.

"Durmstrang you say? Thought I recognised your way of practising potion. I've heard about their different methods in potion making." His smile grew wider and he looked at me with more interest.

"So tell me miss Radcliff. Your parents, were they both witches and wizards from England and how did you end up at Durmstrang?" He grabbed a kettle and a cup. Lifting it as to ask me if I wanted a cup. I nodded and smiled.

"Yes I come from a long family of wizards. But I was left away as many other children during the big war. I got a home in Norway until they found a family friend here in England." I grabbed the teacup and took a sip.

"Do you happen to know the names of you ancestors. Maybe one I've heard of." He watched me as I drank. You surely know them. Just the most powerful family in history. Slytherin, voldemort. I knew I couldn't tell him the truth.

"Unfortunatly no. Only know the name Radcliff came from my father." I said hoping he wouldn't see through me and figure out I was hiding something. But he didn't.

I left slughorn around 6. That's when I decided I needed to see Dumbledore. He knew my struggle and was probably the best at giving advices.

I walked up the stairs towards his office when I heard someone behind me.

"Hiding from us are you?" It was Grace who came walking behind me.

"Oh! Sorry! I met Slughorn and he wanted to talk to me. I'm on my way to the headmaster. I have some questions about my grades." I knew I was lying but even if they were my friends I couldn't tell them the truth.

"Alright. Frieda told me you just left her at the great hall. Not really your style. Is something wrong?" She said and looked me deep in the eyes.

"No. Nothing's wrong. Just alot of question about my NEWT's . You know I like to have things under control. And I believe Dumbledore can help me." I said and gave her a questioning nod before turned around to continue towards Dumbledore's office.

"I don't believe you." She said in an uncertain voice and I stoped. I kept my body away from her. I didn't know what to say to her. I couldn't tell her the truth. Nobody could know it. "Well I can't really talk now. I'll be back before the curfew." I just continued walking. I didn't want to stop for a chat now. I couldn't tell her everything so I better leave her unknowing.

I knocked the door to Dumbledore's office carefully. His usual voice gave out a "come in" and the door cracked as I opened it.

"Adeline. Haven't heard from you for a while everthing going alright? Hope you don't mind me using your first name?" He said under his beard and looked up over his glasses.

"Not at all, sir. And I belive everything is as it has been. I just need to talk to you some more." I said and he pointed at a chair.

"I see." He said and put his hand in his lap. It was something strange with it. It looked almost burnt.

"It's about my grandfather." I said and he nodded.

"It always is." He said and I looked down. I couldn't deny it. He was the only thing that stoped me from moving forward. The only thing that couldn't let me focuse on my parents. It was so much bigger and more serious because of him.

"What is troubling you?" He said and I looked up.

"He will be back. And quite soon I suppose. It's just. What will he do? If he finds out about me I mean?" I bit my lip trying to read his face. But he just smiled his usual smile.

"You mean if he'll try to kill you?" He said as calmly as usual. When talking to Dumbledore everything felt like easy questions. No question was bad or dumb. He could always answer.
"That answer I can't tell you I'm afraid. Nobody truly knows what goes on in his mind. Only he knows. But if I have learned something from all these years, it is that nobody can forsee the future unless they are a seer or an orakle. And take my advise, don't go search for one. They usually give a very unclear answer." He looked at me with a look that told me he had done this one time before. It made us both laugh.

"I understand sir. And what about his people. I mean the wizards that support him. Are they dangerous too? And how do you know who to trust?" I didn't know how to ask the question I really wanted to ask. Was it possible that I was in love with one?

"The so-called deatheaters are usually hiding their support in public. But they all wear the same dark mark. It's a way for him to contact them. But of course people can still support him without being a deatheater. The dark mark only shows their loyalty to him."

He made a pause. "I heard from professor Snape that you witnessed a very dramatic scene today between mr Potter and mr Malfoy."

"Yes sir, I did." I said and looked down on my hands. That was the reason I came.

"Might that be one of the reasons you came to talk to me today?" He asked. I couldn't lie to him. He was to kind and  intelligent to show any sign of unloyalty to.

"Yes, sir. Actually it is."

"I believe mr Potter have thrown some accusations towards mr Malfoy that might seem shocking to some. And maybe you have come to find out if these accusations are true." I nodded and he smiled.

"You see Adeline. People often make choises. But sometimes these choices aren't very easy to make. For mr Malfoy, these choices have been particularly difficult to make. And some of them might even be called wrong. But that doesn't make him a bad person. Just a person making all the wrong choices." He never really spoke clearly about what he ment, but I understood it all. I truly did.

"So if you are wondering if mr Malfoy would ever do anything that would hurt you, I would say no. But during hard times, bad choices grow, and trust and love, are not built on such grounds."

"Your family history is a very heavy secret to carry and I understand it is a difficult task. But trusting it upon someone already living in such a dark place as mr Malfoy will only make your relationship weaker and his choices harder."

"So I should stay away from him?" I said and held my breath.

"That choice is up to you. But remember that darkness is a very scary place to be without a light. And letting darkness surround you is not a very comforting feeling."

More he couldn't say before we heard a knock on the door.

"I believe our time is up Adeline. And remember that everything will come to an end if you only stay true to yourself."

I said goodbye to Dumbledore and met Snape outside the door. He gave me a nod and then walked in to the headmaster. I continued walking down to the dungeons. I had some things to think about.