chapter 5 slytherin

A great roar was heard from the Slytherin table and McGonagall took off the hat. I slide down from the small stage and walked nervously towards the slytherin table. Lots of eyes were pointed at me and a boy came up to me with a wide grin.

"Welcome to Slytherin!" He say and showed me a seat. I looked around at the other tables and caught eye with the boy I met at the train, Neville. He looked at me with a questioning look. I guessed he was a Gryffindor based on the colour on his robe.

Lots of people from the Slytherin table came up to congratulate me. Then Dumbledore silenced everyone before we got to dig in at the food.

"Transferred? Any of the european schools?" The boy with the wide grin say and look up at me from under his dark hair. I took a bite of the pastry and then looked around.

"Durmstrang." I say and I see him making a satisfied look.
"No wonder she became a Slytherin then." I hear someone whisper from the table behind and I could feel how my confidence sank.

After the feast Dumbledore welcomed a new teacher for defence against the dark arts. Dolores Umbridge. She was a small lady dressed in pink wearing a huge smile on her face.
"C'mon!" A girl at our table say and threw her knife on her plate. "Just bring us Snape. He is alot better than that ministry lady." They all look at the small lady smiling wide as she stand up.

All the teachers were quite surpriced as she stod up and stoped Dumbledore's speech just to tell everyone about the ministry and how much she looked forward to teach us. I did not like her. I wasn't the one to judge a person right away, but this Umbridge was nothing like I had ever seen and I had a feeling that she wasn't as nice as she looked. Underneat her wide smile and giggles was something that made me feel uncomfortable.

I had never met any of the teatchers before and therefore didn't know who was the best.

As everything was done we left the great hall and I had to follow the others. The Slytherin boy which I guess was a prefect showed all the first-years the way around Hogwarts and I quietly followed them to get to know the castle a bit more.

I watched the big paintings hanging on the walls. The people on the paintings greeted us and took off their hats as we passed them. The slytherin commonroom and dormitories were placed in the dungeons. I was walking down the stairs after the others when someone said my name.

"Miss Radcliff! Could you follow me please?" I turned around to see professor McGonagall. I looked at the first-years that dissapeared around a corner and I gave McGonagall a smile and followed her. We walked into an empty classroom and I saw a man dressed in all black. He had long dark hair and a sour exprecion on his face.

"Miss Radcliff. This is professor Snape. He is the head teacher of Slytherin and will help you when there is any problems." I looked at the man and he looked at me without changing his expression.

"I will leave you two. And welcome to Hogwarts, miss Radcliff." Professor McGonagall dissapeared out the door and I turned at Snape.

"Your schedule will be the same as the other fifth-years slytherin and will start tomorrow. You will be sleeping with three other girls in the girl dormitories and please don't sneak around the castle during night time. I bet mr Filch will be most dissapointed." He say in an unsatisfying and dark voice and he looked at me with his dark eyes before moving towards the desk in the front.

"Now. That was all miss Radcliff." He say and start looking through some papers on the desk. I turned around and walked out the door. Snape seemed like a very quiet and strict teacher. I could picture him getting on well with the Durmstrang teachers.

I walked along the hallways trying to remember the way towards the dungeon when I hear voices.

"I bet that Potter is lying about even more than... Ah! Radcliff was it?" The boy with pale blonde hair and a big grin comes walking. He was the prefect of slytherin and the one who had welcomed me at the table. He walked towards me with his group of friends. Two big boys and a darkhaired girl, the other slytherin prefect.