chapter 4 the sorting

I sat in the empty compartment eating my sandwiches when someone knocked on the door to my compartment and I woke up from my daydreams.

A small darkhaired boy looked in through the door.
"Sorry to bother you but I have just lost my toad. Have you seen it?" He looked around in my compartment and I gave him a smile. "Sorry, no. Hope you find it!" I say and the boy looks down on his feet a bit sad. Then he look up and look at me again.

"Have I seen you before? I know I have a really bad memory but I don't remember seeing you at Hogwarts and you don't look like a first year." He say and I give him a small smile.

"I don't think so. I am transferred from Durmstrang. I'm starting fifth year." I say and the boy smile.

"Oh! I'm a fifth year! maybe I'll see you again then. And good luck with the sorting. I'm Neville." He say and I smile.

"I'm Adeline. maybe we will! Thank you and good luck to you too!" I say and he look at me questioning.

"Finding you frog." I say and he just realised what he was doing.
"Right! Bye then!" He say and smile before he walk away along the train.

Ribbon jumped up in my lap and I brushed him while looking out the window. It was a long way and I even think I fell asleep for a while.

I was thinking about my first years in Durmstrang. They were not years I wanted to remember. I lived with Muggles and that rumor spred like a fire. I had to do my best to show that I was worthy a place at the school.
Then I didn't know how to use magic. Some strange things had happened when I was young and now when I look back on it I know it was because I was a witch.

I was moved to a family in Norway at the age of four. I don't remember my first family but I have got to know that they were from England and that my true family sent me away just after the defeat of Lord Voldemort. I wasn't afraid of mentioning his name. Fear of a word is nothig more than fear of something invincible. And to be honest. Nobody is invincible. I don't believe saying his name will make him turn up from thin air. But as it seemed now. Lord Voldemort might be returned. I didn't trust anyone but from the things that happened during the Triwizard Tournament, some things pointed towards it.

When the train stoped I hurried to take my things and look for the person Eliza had told me to follow to the castle.
People were running around eachother and I kept looking for someone who was gonna take me to the castle.

Just then I see a lady waving and shouting.

"First years, follow me!" She shout and I follow the other first years. I was a little bit embarrassed walking along younger students. We walked towards the big lake and on the other side we could see the castle. It was more beautiful than I had ever thought.

"You must be miss Radcliff." The lady say as she help me down in one of the boats at the shore to the big lake. I smile and nod.
"McGonagall will meet you at the gates." She say before the boat starts moving.

I sat with three other students. They were four years younger than me and I gave them an awkward smile.

"Hogwarts is the best school for witches, my mom says. But she considered sending me to Beauxbatons instead since the news in the daily prophet. That Harry Potter seemes totally out of his mind." One of the girls looked at the others and she gave a grin.

"I can speak French and Spanish fluently so there wouldn't have been a problem going to Beauxbatons." She kept on talking but none of the others seemed to care.

We sailed over the sea and Hogwarts looked beautiful from this view.
We finally stoped and I followed the others towards the big entrance of Hogwarts. As we got to the big doors a lady, dressed i an emeraldgreen robes and her hair tied into a bun underneat her hat, welcomed us.

"Everyone follow me to the great hall where you will be sorted into your house!" She shouted and looked around at the crowd as if she was searching someone. Then she caught eye on me.

"Miss Radcliff. You will be sorted after all the first-years if you don't mind." She said and I guessed she was professor McGonagall. I nodded and followed the others. We walked up a big marbled staircase and in through two big wooden doors. It felt a bit awkward following the younger students down the aisle in the great hall. The cealing was bewitched so you could see the nightsky and there were candles hanging in mid-air. In the front was a table filled with the teachers and all the students sat at the four house tables. I just kept looking around at the cealing and windows. It was more beautiful than I had heard.

They were looking at all the first-years and when they saw me there was even more whispers and looks. We stoped in the front of the great hall and waited for someone to say something.

"Welcome, first-years!" It was professor Dumbledore speaking. I looked down on my feet. Ribbon was running around my legs and I smiled as she looked up at me.
Bet you're not nervous, I thought and looked up at the headmaster again. They had taken out a three leged stool and an old, brown wizardhat.

A rip near the hat's brim opened wide like a mouth and it started to sing. It was a very long song and after it was finished the great hall was filled with applause.

"As I call your name please come forward." It was professor McGonagall speaking now and she took out a big parchment. This would take some time.
She started to call out some names and one after one they ran up to the chair, sat down and got the hat put on their head. Then after a few seconds the hat opened it's mouth and shouted out. "Gryffindor!" Next person sat down and the hat started to move on the persons head. Then, "Hufflepuff!".

It was alot of first-years and standing there waiting made me slightly less nervous. Then the last first-year was called up and I stood there alone in the front feeling how everyones eyes was directed to me.

"Radcliff, Adeline!" McGonagall said loud and clearly and I slowly walked up to the stool. I didn't dare to look up at the crowded hall. Instead I looked at Minerva and she gave me a friendly look.

"Adeline is a fifth-year so please be nice to her!" Dumbledore shouted at the students and he gave a special look towards the table to the right, green and silver colours were covering the student's robes.
She put the hat on my head and I could hear the hat thinking.

"Oh, really? You have great powers inside you I see." He say quiet and I look up at the brown inside of the hat.
Then it gets all quiet and I could hear my heart beat in my chest. Then the high voice broke the silence before the hall broke into applause.

"Slytherin!"