chapter 13 going home

I was sitting in one of the big windows in the corridor outside of Dumbledore's office.

I brushed away a tear from my cheak and looked at the rain and the dark clouds outside the window. It was very late. Or maybe it was early. I had stayed with Dumbledore for many hours. I didn't wanna believe what he had told me, but I could feel it in my bones that it was all true. I could speak parsletoung. I had done it at the Diagon alley. That was because I was descended from Slytherin. All Slytherin's could speak with snakes, that was just the way it was. Except for Potter.

My grandfather was Lord Voldermort. Tom Riddle. A halfblood who grew up in an orphanage. I didn't like to think of it. But it all made sence. He killed my grandmother and didn't know about my mother being alive until I was born.
But why so much hate?
How could he kill his own daughter? And what would happen if he knew that I existed?

Dumbledore was clear with telling me that I was just like my mother. She wasn't filled with hate. She was capable of loving. And she accepted her family and her story. She knew her father, but trusted in herself to do the right thing.

But how could I? I was only fifteen turning sixteen. How could I just accept that my family history had one of the darkest stories in the wizarding world?

"I am telling you all this, not because I want to bring you any pain. But to protect you as I promised your mother."

I was so confused. I wanted it all to be a lie. My parents were muggles that just sent me away because they didn't love me, that would have been so much easier to take in. Now my parents died, fighting my grandfather, the most evil wizard in history.

I brushed away another tear from my cheak and started walking towards the dungeons.

I heard the sound of Dumbledore still echoing in my ears "Don't forget who you are, Adeline. Knowing your story might change your view, but it won't change your heart. A true Slytherin isn't the bad one. A true Slytherin is the one standing up for one's values in life. And no-one can change your values for what is right and wrong."

I leaned to the wall as I walked down the steps to the common room.

I felt so fragile. I didn't have the strength to pull myself together. This had just been such a chock. I opened the door to the common room and felt the green lights start to spin in front of me. I didn't have the strength to pull myself up. I just layed on the floor hugging myself feeling the tears stream down my cheaks.

Why me? I thought as I closed my eyes tighter. Why me?

"Adeline?" I heard a silent voice say but I didn't listen. I just closed my eyes hoping that I would fall through the floor into oblivion.

"Adeline? Are you alright?" A worried voice came from next to my ear and I tried to stop the tears from running.

"I'm fine." I managed to whisper through my thick throat.

"No you're not." The voice said and suddenly I was lifted up from the floor and carried away. The voice put me down in the couch and I could feel the warmth from the fireplace. I kept my eyes shut.

I don't know how long I layed there closing my eyes and feeling the warmth from the fire. The person had put a blanket around me and was brushing my forehead as I layed there silent.

I must have fallen asleep after a few hours because I heard movement and slowly opened my eyes to se Draco walk away from me towards the boys dorm.

"Draco?" I whispered and he turned.
"Why?" I said but he turned and dissapeared. I closed my eyes again and fell asleep.

As I opened my eyes again it must have been morning. There were movement in the common room and students were running around with their animals and cloaks. I sat up and looked around. I took off the blanket and saw a note fall down on the floor. I picked it up and read what it said.

Adeline,
I know you're not like the other people I have met. You are different. I can't handling the fact that someone would be around me for something else than my money and family name and that is what scares me about you. You saw something else in me during those first days. I am sorry for all the wrong things I've said and done. But you should know. I do care about you and I wish you'll once teach me the meaning of true friendship.

Draco

I folded the note and walked towards the dorm. I brushed my face from water and redness hoping the others hadn't woken up yet. I slowly opened the door and sneaked in. They were all sleeping and I hurried down in my bed to sleep the last minutes before they would all stress out before breakfast.

I unfolded the note again and read it. I do care about you. Draco. I didn't know what to think. He had helped me tonight. He had been there just watching me and keeping me company. Maybe he wasn't that mean after all.

◇◇◇ ◆ ◆ ◆ ◇◇◇

It was time to leave Hogwarts. We ate breakfast and everyone was talking about what they would do durin the summer. But it was a coldness and fear hiding behind the smiles. They all knew that this would change. Voldemort was back and he was getting ready for war.

"Did anyone of you see Draco this morning?" I said and thry all looked at me.

"Malfoy? What about him?" Frieda said and they all turned at me.

"Just wondering. Pansy was asking before." I had to lie. I couldn't tell them about what happened last night. Bringing up Pansy when talking about Draco was always a good thing to do.

I had not seen Draco and I didn't know if I wanted to either. I wouldn't know how to act.

"I am So looking forward to summer now. Traveling through the mountains in Austria. Always been a dream." Liona said as we war stepping on the train.

"Well, I have to live with my three sisters for the entire break. Tell me if you need company and I'll be there." We all laughed.

"How about you, Adeline. What are you going to do?" Frieda asked as we sat down in a compartment.

"Meeting my family." I said and smiled. I knew Eliza wasn't my family. But she was one of the people who knew my story and I could never thank her enough for taking care of me.

I sat in silence during the entire ride home. It had all been a strange year. Umbridge, Voldemort and Draco. It was alot going on at this school that didn't happen at Durmstrang. But I couldn't help looking forward to the next year.