part 2 chapter 11

Christmas break was here. The long queue of people leaving Hogwarts was slow as we walked pass the gates.

I was holding Ribbon in my arms and wore my mothers cloak. Everywhere were people chatting and talking about how they would spend their break. Some of them were worried and some were not. We had not heard anything new since that accident by the bridge in London. But we all knew there were more to come. I gave Blaise a friendly smile as I happened to pass him. I believe he no longer wished to talk to me.

"My parents cancelled the trip to Iceland. They are afraid of getting attacked." Liona said as we came to the train. "Guess it's gonna be just a usual boring christmas with my siblings running around screaming."

"Well. At least you don't need to spend it eating a seven course meal with relatives you don't know." Frieda say and sigh.

"Just try sending a post card. I guess a simple christmas with mom and dad is kinda nice now when everyone fear the war." Grace said as we left the gates.

"So happy that it's break though. My head hurts from all those home works." Grace said and I raised my eyebrows.

"You? Homeworks? You didn't even do half of them." I said and Frieda agreed.

"Doesn't mean those I did was hard." She say and we laugh.

The steam from the train was thick in the cold and we made our way to our compartment. I saw a glance of Draco as I stood in the door. He looked at me for a second and I smiled. Then I walked on and sat down next to Frieda and looked out the window. It was gonna be good with a break. Not only from school, but from my own thoughts. The memories Dumbledore had shown me this last semester were still playing in my head from time to time and I think I just needed time to think about it.

One thing was sure though. I was okay. Okay because I had no more secrets about who my family was. Okay because I had three amazing friends who all knew that being in Slytherin wasn't about heritage. Okay, because I knew, I was ready. Whatever would happen in the future I wouldn't be alone.

The train rolled away from the station and soon dissapeared behind the big highland mountains. One more semester was over but there was so much more to discover.

◇◇◇ ◇◇◇◇ ◇◇◇◇ ◇◇◇

"Hello darling!" Eliza said and hugged me as we met on the platform at kings cross. We made our way to Magdalen Crescent and I walked into the small wooden door. It was nice being home.

The newspaper were covered with accidents that had happened. Muggles had died or dissapeared and the government thought it to be a new kind of serial murder. But we both knew, Voldemort was building his army and nothing was stopoing him so far.

On christmas eve Eliza sat down beside me by the fire as I brushed Ribbon.

"I have something I believe you wamt to see. If you get dressed we'll leave in 10 minutes." She said and I hurried upstairs to get a jacket before meeting her at the fireplace.

We took the floo powder and went to a small town I never heard of.
"I don't think anyone told you where you were born." Eliza said as we walked on the snow covered street. There was a small town square with a tree church next to it. Eliza opened the gate to the graveyard and we stepped inside. I followed her steps and looked around me. Christmas decorations were covering the town and the trees were covered in lights. Eliza stoped next to a snow covered stone. She leaned down and brushed it of.

Here lies Caroline and Thomas Radcliff
Beloved parents and friends
The light will always outshine the darkness

I leaned down to touch the stone. I felt Eliza's hand on my shoulder and she leaned her head to me.

"They would have been happy to know you were back here."
I felt a cold tear fall on my cheak, but I was smiling.

Eliza took out her wand and lighted a candle and put some roses next to the stone.

After a while we left and Eliza took me to another part of the town. We stoped outside a gate covered by old bushes and snow. A small sign read Radcliff cottage.

"Is this?" I looked at Eliza and she nodded. I smiled and pushed away the old branshes to get through the gate. The cottage was small with a porch just big enough for two people to stand on. I turned the handle and the door was easily opened.

I took a deep breath before stepping inside. A smell of home filled my nose and a tear fell down my cheak again.

Even though the house must have been empty for almost 13 years, it had a sertain smell and warmth stuck to it. I touched the walls as I walked through the first room. I came into a small kitchen and easily brushed my fingertips on the counters and furnitures.
Then I made my way to the next room, a large livingroom. The light of the snow shone through the window on to the couch and the table. I slowly touched the soft fabric and felt how my body suddenly turned heavier. I fell down on my knees and held my hand to my mouth. The tears were running down my face as I kept my hand on the couch. The smell covered my nose and the warm memories filled my subconsious. I was home. I was actually home. I was sobbing heavily and I tried standing up and walked up to a shelf on the other side of the room. There was a portrate of my mom and dad. They were smiling and they looked so happy.

"Hello sweetie! Mommy loves you. Yes Mommy loves you so much!" A flash of memory popped up into my head.

"Caroline it's time. We need to leave her. We can't let her stay here any longer." A blurred picture of my father putting his hand on my mothers shoulder and smiling at me appeared.

"I know. But I just need her to know that mommy loves her." My mother brushed my cheak softly before putting me down in a basket.

"She will, Caroline. She must."

I returned to the look at the picture of them smiling and took it up closer to me. I touched the glass and smiled.

"I know you loved me." I whispered and put the photograph under my jacket.

I walked up the small staircase to a bedroom. There were a small window and childs bed. This was were I grew up. Before I got sent away.

I had walked around the house for possibly many hours when I at last walked out of the cottage.

Eliza stood at the same spot smiling at me as I came. She didn't say anything. Instead she just hugged me. A warm supporting hug.

"They loved me. They truly did." I said and took out the photograph to show here. I could see her push away a tear too as she smiled.

"Yes they did. So very much." She hugged my hand and we returned to our own house again.

The rest of the christmasbreak was spent doing cooking and talking about possible careers after Hogwarts. The possibility of a war starting was far away and none of us really feared it coming. We only wanted to live in the present and cherish what we had now.

I didn't get a single postcard and Eliza believed it to be because of the fear someone would read it before it arrived. The deatheaters were out there. Everyone knew it. But the question was only when they were ready to strike.

When the last day of the break came I heared an owl knocking on my window. It was a small brown one. I opened and helped it inside before resieving his letter.

"Thank you!" I said and opened it.

Adeline,

I met with Grace during the break and we wanted to inform you before the semester starts. Liona lost one of her sisters during their visit to Dover. The deatheaters hit and they didn't manage to help everyone. There were mostly muggles killed, but Liona's sister was trying to help them when she fell into the water and hit her head. We shouldn't treat Liona any different. I know she wouldn't like that. But we thought you'd like to know.

Love, Frieda

So it had hit us already. The appearance of deatheaters had come to hurt one of our own and it was only a question of time when they would come for Hogwarts.