Part 3 Chapter 11

The book kept intriguing me and even though the ideas and psychology of the author were so different from my own, I couldn't help continuing. The ideology of a pureblood future was insane but the words were written with such passion and determination that I had to close and put the book down a few times in order to capture my own ideas and beliefs for a while. The legilimency was still very interesting and I couldn't help but wonder if it was something I could accomplish if I tried. Then I had an idea. I had told the girls I was feeling unwell and would skip dinner one night. As they had left the dorm I took out the gaunt cup and sat down on my bed. From all the reading there were some things I had learned. The horcrux contained a part of Voldemort's soul and the horcruxes have the ability to possess whoever comes in contact with it, meaning it must contain a mind of its own. Maybe I could penetrate the mind of the horcrux by using legilimency? It wouldn't hurt trying, right?

I opened the book to the chapter on legilimency and put the cup down in front of my. Then I pulled out my wand and read through the instruction in the book. As there were no eyes on the horcrux I would have to concentrate even more. I focused my gaze on the cup and flicked my wand. It became dark around me and I almost feared I had gone blind when some lights flickered before my eyes. A million Images ran before my eyes and I had to try and focus my thoughts on what I wanted to see. I tried picturing the Loch Ness lake and the images started to slow down. I saw the large snake, the cup and... A reflection of the version of Voldemort I had seen at the standing rocks. It made me loose focus and almost threw me backwards as I lost contact with the cup. I rubbed my eyes and looked at the cup laying on my bed cover. I took a deep breath and looked down on my hands smiling. Well, I would say that worked quite well.

I hurried to hide the cup under the bed, closed the book and tried to sleep before the girls would return from dinner. But I was too exited. I had the ability to use legilimency and I had just done it on a horcrux. 

Draco and his minions were always close by me and my friends. Frieda was not very pleased. I knew she had a crush on Zabini. I couldn't blame her, I too found him handsome and interesting once, but she would always complain about his superiority personality that hid behind his good manners. Grace understood my choice to be with Draco but some times questioned my morals. "He is a death eater after all. It's not like his father wouldn't hesitate to kill you if you disobeyed their wishes." She said one evening. I knew she was right, but I also knew that if it came down to that, I would fight back. I don't know what it was about me. I had started to feel more confident and powerful. Draco had noticed my changed behavior and reminded me to lay low in classes as Carrow was constantly watching me. 

"It is not long until easter break so please stay out of trouble. I have this weird feeling. Like something is crawling up my spine and I can't shake it off. It is not safe here and the sooner we get to leave Hogwarts the better." Draco walked next to me down by the lake. I brushed his fingers with mine and smiled at him. 

"It's coming something, I know it too. But don't you think we should focus on the safety we actually have in here for now. You-know-who has not yet tried to penetrated the Hogwarts barrier and the Carrow siblings and Snape are the only ones we should avoid in here. We should just enjoy the time we have." I said and moved up to kiss him. His body was tense and stiff compared to mine and I brushed his cheek with my hand as I looked into his eyes.

"And I have been thinking about Carrow. Maybe it wouldn't't hurt to let him teach me some techniques.  After all, it wouldn't hurt to know how to fight if there is a war coming." I said and smiled at Draco before turning away from him and walking towards the direction of the castle. I had been thinking about this for the last days. I had powers, it was proved and acknowledged by the teachers, so why not harness them? 

I had kept the cup underneath the bed and waited for a chance to try legilimency again. I read the book every night and made small notes on what to remember and not. My focus in class was switched to finding ways to show my strengths and abilities. If we were supposed to do a potion, I tried using tips or spells mentioned in the book, harmless of course. 

Carrow's classes were the most difficult. He had been going through new spells and curses, curses I already had read about in the book and knew when to use. Draco's constant stare at me made me try to look unaffected and helpless, though it was hard. 

"Did you hear about Grace?" Liona said as she ran into me at the corridor on the way to the great hall.

"No what has happened?" I asked and looked at her puzzled while following her quick steps.

"There is this boy, his in the year above, but has been given extra curricular assignments in herbology around the same topic as Grace. And now he asked her if she wanted to join him in the library to go through the questions together. And she completely freaked out and said she couldn't before walking away." Liona said and I could see her trying to avoid laughing out loud.

"But why?" I asked and followed Liona through the large doors towards the slithering table.

"That's what we are gonna ask now." Liona said and hurried up behind Grace. She put her hands on Grace's shoulders and sighed.

"Ner would I have believed that Grace Aberwill would freak out when a guy asks her to help him study." Liona said and we all laughed except for Grace. I sat down by the table and watched excited to hear Grace's explanation. 

"Just hear me out. We live in this constant darkness. We cannot argue differently. Everyone is waiting for a war to begin and this guy have the nerve to ask me for a study date. Who would even be able to try and date during these times?" She said and they all turned to look at Grace puzzled before pointing at me. 

"Just look at miss trouble over there." Frieda said and winked at me to show she was joking around. "this girl, this woman, not only have the ability to date someone during these times, she also  dates the enemy." I nodded and smiled to show that Frieda was in fact right.

"If she can date, you can at least go on a date with a guy who seems absolutely harmless. He studies herbology for bloods sake!" Fried said and threw her hand in the air to add some drama to her narrative. 

"Alright. I'll go and tell him that I can meet him in the library...." Grace said and we all cheered. "Next week". We all began laughing wildly before trying to keep our voices down as we saw one of the arrow's walking in our direction.

I had lied away all night thinking about the cup and how I should try once again to see what it could tell me. Once I knew that the girls were deeply asleep, I brought the cup and my wand out from under the bed. I hid underneath my covers and  focused my attention towards the cup. I flicked my wand and once again everything turned dark, or at least darker than the room was at night. 

I focused my mind on Voldemort. I tried imagining his red eyes and pale skin. The pictures began flickering before me again but now I was prepared. I tried to focus on one of them but it took some time before I could start seeing one picture more clearly and slowly. A dark fortress. It was damp and I watched grey walls surrounding me. In one corner was a man sitting tied with chains around his ankles and wrists. I saw the black cloak of Voldemort move beneath me and the pale fingers pointing a wand towards me.

"Tell me Grindelwald, tell me where it is". The cold voice of Voldemort speak as he moves closer to the man. The man only laughs and grins. "Tell me who possesses it", Voldemort continues.

"The elder wand lies with him of course" The man speaks in a raspy voice. "Beneath in the earth." His eyes hiding a sinister look as he speaks towards the quiet Voldemort. 

"Dumbledore"

The last word made me loose focus and I returned back to reality gasping for air. I took two deep breaths to calm down before running my hands over my face. I had once again proved myself more powerful than I could ever have imagined. But the questions circulated in my head.

Who was Grindelwald? What was the elder wand and why was Voldemort looking for it? But the most intriguing question of them all: What did it have to do with Dumbledore?