Part 3 Chapter 8

The first snow had came and it brought a new kind of darkness around the castle. I had brought Voldemort's book with me wherever I went to make sure it didn't end up in the wrong hands or make sure that the curse on it didn't wear off. Draco had asked me about it but I had given him the same answer as I had given Frieda. As Draco wasn't focusing on his own studies he had no real interest in hearing about mine. 

I had not dared to open the book too much, afraid of what I could find. I only wished for Dumbledore to still be here so that he could tell me what to do with it. 

At lunch I finally decided to open the pages about Horcruxes. I needed to find out more about them in order for me to break them. As people were starting to leave, I sat alone by my seat at the Slytherin table and read line by line. The stories were elaborate and painted clear pictures in my head. How to choose the objects and guard them after producing them. The stories made me positively sure about the Ravenclaw diadem being a horcrux. Even the cup in my trunk made me understand his choice in objects. For Voldemort, the Horcruxes were connected to some of the greatest wizards in history. For the Hogwarts founders to be part of his immortality made perfect sense. Horcruxes possessed magical powers on their own and had the power to fight off anyone trying to destroy it. As the objects were now magical, they could not be destroyed simply by splitting it into pieces. The objects contained a soul and would have to be killed in the same way as any magical soul would, which would make it difficult for people trying to destroy them to succeed. 

When I reached the section on how to produce a horcrux I noticed how I was holding my breath. The explanation did not hold back any information and was more barbaric than I could have imagined. My eyes were glued to the words as I saw elaborated pictures in my head. Some of them made my stomach turn and I had to close my eyes and try to picture something else. As I had finished reading the section I closed the book and rested my head in my hands. 

"Is this where you are hiding?" Draco said and sat down next to me. His touch to my shoulder made me jump. he moved back and watched me. "Did I scare you?" He asked surprised.

"Yes. Sorry I was just... Never mind. I think I need some air." I said and looked up at him. He grabbed the book in front of me and grinned. 

"For someone who is supposed to lay low in DA classes, you are not really trying your best." He said and gave me the book which had turned into the old Defense against the Dark arts notebook as he touched it. I tried giving him a smile but only felt like I needed fresh air in order to work properly. 

Draco accompanied me out on the yard and we walked towards the bridge. I breathed in the fresh air and felt the sick feeling in my stomach starting to disappear. 

"You know I'm going home for Christmas. The Malfoy Manor is usually very crowded. I am almost certain about the Carrows being there as well as my relatives." Draco said and put his arm around me as a cold wind came towards us. The thin layer of snow on the ground had made the air a little more chilly than last week. "I jus wanted to know what you'll be doing. Being stuck with them makes me wish I could be somewhere else."

I looked at Draco and smiled. He truly didn't like being part of his families' affairs and I  really liked him for that. I hugged his arm and smiled.

"I'll be at home with my aunt. We'll have a quiet Christmas just the two of us. Maybe we'll go visit my parents's grave. But mostly we spend time together in the living room, playing games." I said and pictured the wonderful Christmas from last year. The warm feeling from the fire place and the colorful lights. Draco took and kissed my hand.

"Thank you. I can picture it. That will save me for a week or two with them." He said and looked at me with a smile. "I just hope we won't have a surplice visit by..." He said and nodded towards his arm. I looked down at his arm where the dark mark was hidden and began thinking of Voldemort. The thoughts brought me back to the book and before I could stop it I had to leave Draco's arm and run away to vomit behind a tree. The pictures flashed in my head and I had to focus on my breathing and the fresh air in order to not throw up again. Draco came up behind me.