part 2 chapter 4

I was getting quite used to feeling this way now. There had been so many unexpected things this last year and I had almost started to accept it. I had a difficult family history. Nobody had to know that. The only thing that mattered was that I could figure out who I was.

I walked up the stairs from the dungeons. There were still an hour left until we had to be in our rooms. It was dark outside and I walked in the cloisters just to have something to do.

"Adeline. Didn't expect to meet you here." I met Zabini as I turned round the corner.

"Well, we do go in the same school and in the same class. It would be even more unexpected if I didn't meet you during this year." I said and he laughed.

"Always the witty one, aren't you? Just got some more sense than Pansy I bet." He walked up to me and joined me on my walk.

"Did you want something Zabini?" I said as we turned around the next corner.

"Actually, yes! And you can say Blaise." He said and looked at me with a smile. I know Frieda thought him good looking. But I don't think he really was my type. "you see. It's the Hogsmead weekend in one month and I would love to buy you a butterbeer. What do you say?" He looked at me with a smile.

"I'm sorry. But I have already got plans for that weekend." I looked down on my feet.

"Oh. Really?" He looked around still carrying his head up high

"I am sorry. Maybe another time?" I said and smiled.

"Yes. Definitely! I'll see you at Snape's on Monday. Good night Adeline." He said before walking away from me to another corridor.

"Good night, Blaise!" I said after him.

I walked my way back down to the dungeons. The common room was empty now. I sat down for a moment just to watch the green flames in the fireplace.

The thoughts about Voldemort came back to me again. He was the one who had killed my parents. What was he after? And would he kill me if he had the chance? I always want to believe the good in people. But maybe some people are born evil. The look in the young Tom Riddle's eyes was a look I would never forget easily.

"There you are! We were just wondering when you'd turn up. We're going to bed now!" It was Liona who came into the common room.

"I'm coming. I just had to take a walk." I said and took a deep breath before following her to our dorm.

"Found her!" Liona shouted as we entered the room.

"There you are! You just disappeared! Where have you been?" Frieda asked and sat down in her bed.

"I took a walk. And I met Zabini." I said and all eyes turned on me.

"What did he say?" Grace asked and the others nodded.

"He asked me to join him for a butterbeer next month at Hogsmead." I said and started to get ready for bed.

"And what did you say?" Liona said and I crawled down under the blankets.

"Yes, of course!" Grace said and laughed.

"No, I said that I already had plans for that weekend." Ribbon jumped up next to me.

"What? You turned him down?" Frieda said quite loud. And they all staired at me.

"Yes. What else could I do? I do have plans for that weekend." I said and pet Ribbon on the back.

"Yes of course! You should have turned down that meeting with Dumbledore. This was a date with Blaise Zabini!" Frieda said and I looked at her with a smile.

"Why don't you go with him? You should ask him. His free now." I say and laugh.

"Don't be stupid!" Frieda said and we all laughed.

"Well I can't turn down this meeting with Dumbledore. It's important. Now good night!" I said and turned the blankets over me.

I didn't sleep that much that night. To be honest I hadn't slept so much any of the nights since I learned about my family.

◇◇◇ ◇◇◇ ◇◇◇ ◇◇◇

We sat at breakfast eating as I looked over at Draco and Pansy. Pansy was chatting with everyone around her but Draco wasn't eating nor listening.

"He looks different don't you think?" I said and looked at the girls.

"Who?" Grace said and they looked at me questioned.

"Draco. Almost sick." I said and they looked even more questioned.

"Malfoy? Why'd we care about him? Might just be the cold. It is fall. Snow might be coming any week soon." Frieda said before she took a bite from her toast.

I didn't take my eyes off Draco. Something looked wrong. And I think I had seen it since the first time I saw him this semester.

We went to class and I think I had started to master the unverbal spells by now.

"Slytherin is having their tryouts today. Should we go watch?" Liona say as we walk down to the dungeons after class.

"Sure!" Frieda say and we all agreed.

It was a bit chilly so we brought our warm sweaters before walking down to the quidditch pitch.

We took a seat and watched as people were starting to fill the pitch. But one person were missing. Draco.

"Where's our chaser?" I say and they start looking down on the crowd.

"Don't know! How will we find a new seeker if Malfoy is gone?" Grace say and look with a panic in her eyes. "Who will beat Potter and the Gryffindors now?"

The tryouts looked pretty good. They had a few new students who wanted to try out and at the end we had a quite good team.

"Have you heard about Slughorns new club? Heard a rumor that Zabini is part of it. And so is Potter. It's like a secret sorority." Liona say on the way back to the castle.

"Yes, I heard he only invites people who have powerful witches and wizards in their family or have a chance to succeed and become powerful themselves one day." Grace say.

I was thinking about my family. Wonder if he would have asked me to come if he knew my family.

The nights were getting darker and after a few more weeks the entire castle was surrounded by the autumn darkness.
I stayed up late at nights to study or just think. Ribbon kept me company and I usually sat in the common room where I wouldn't disturb anyone.
But the only thing that usually happened was that I was the one getting disturbed.

"Didn't know you liked studying late nights." Pansy said as she came in through the door.
"Heard you're not coming to hogsmead next weekend." She say and sit down in a armchair.

I didn't say anything.
"Zabini is rather smitten by you I've noticed. He was not very happy when you turned him down." She was grinning.

"I am sorry for that. But I have a meeting that weekend and I can't turn it down." I said and looked down in my book. I was studying the icelandic runes used by a few of the first nordic wizards.

"What a shame. I will tell him you're sorry." She said and looked at my book.

"I think I can tell him myself. Thank you." I said and I heard her mutter.

"Well, I better get going. I'm helping Draco with something." She say and dissapear out the door to the castle.

It was very late and I couldn't help wondering what it was Draco would need help with.

But I didn't have time to think on that cause then he came walking through the common room.

He looked nervous and pale.
"Good night!" I said and he quickly turned around. He hadn't noticed me.

He looked at me for a moment and I met his eyes. He looked scared. Then he just turned around again and dissapeared out the door.

I returned to my dorm and slid down into my bed. Ribbon curled up next to me and I fell asleep hearing him pur.