Magnificence

The next morning I woke up early. The sun was trying to pierce through the closed curtains and the room was chilled. Adelind was curled against me sleeping soundly and the kids were piled in the corner, seeming as if they were all in comas. I yawned and stretched out before dressing and waking Adelind.

"Hmm?", she said as she woke.

"Morning my sweet", I said licking her muzzle.

"Morning to you too", she said licking me back.

"You wanna sneak out while there still asleep?"

"Sounds like an idea", Adelind said standing and stretching.

We walked out of the barracks and down to the mess hall. Though it was early rising for us, they day for the rest of the island had started at dawn. The mess hall was full of people who were about to hit the sack and people who had just joined the military and were getting ready to start the first day of basic. Adelind and I walked to the back of the mess hall where our spot us, finding Sozenn and Fireclaw already there.

"Hey guys", Fireclaw said, "your up early."

"We wanted some alone time before the kids woke up", Adelind said.

"I feel Adelind", Sozenn said, "I don't know how you and Tyro can put up with 5 kids, I can barely put up with two."

"You knew what would happen", Fireclaw said, "I waned you upfront when you do that you get kids. But did you listen? NOOOOPPPEE!"

"Shut up Fireclaw", Sozenn said.

"Seriously", I said pulling Adelind close to me.

"Well shit", Sozenn said, "when was the last time the four of us were together?"

I laughed, "Christmas fool. But yeah, I know what you mean. I think it was when we had to walk back to Tacoma that one time."

"Man", Fireclaw said, "that was almost...what 20 years ago?"

"Give or take", I replied, "think Morrow is still around?"

"Doubtful", Sozenn said, "as small as he was? It wouldn't surprise me if something ate him."

Fireclaw laughed a little, "he was small, but hey, he saved our home."

"He did", Adelind said, "and then just vanished."

"He just didn't want to hang around", I said, "let the little guy alone."

"Oh and speaking of little ones", Fireclaw said, "guess what Val told me last night?"

"What?", Adelind asked.

"Val said the doctors told him to expect Vez to deliver quote "in two days."

"Good for her!', Adelind said.

We kept talking as the food came. We mostly talked about what we did as a gang when we were little. We used to get into and out of so much trouble together and for the record, there wasn't much you could do to split the four of us up. We had been eating for maybe ten minutes or so when Nolan walked in.

"Hey guys", he said, "what you up too."

"Not shit brother", Sozenn said, "you?"

"Ehh", Nolan replied, "just stopped by to grab breakfast. Going to the Bowl with my friends for some dune racing."

"The bowl?", Adelind asked.

"It's a desert near the Southern Edge of the island", Nolan said, "people love to off road there and sometimes there are parts to be had from abandoned cars. That's where the wing on my Nemesis came from. By the way guys, it's gonna be hot today, somewhere in the 110s so I'm granting leave time to all military personnel."