Back In The Game

It took a few weeks for us to recover from the trauma of the ring. To be honest, it would stay with us for the rest of our lives, it was just one of those things that never really leaves you. Tyson had become a part of the family in those weeks and it got to the point where I began to wonder what life was like without him. Ace and the others had attached him as there little brother and Adelind and I had come to love him as our own. One morning, we were all woken up as the door clicked open and Hudson walked in. He was wearing a white shirt and brown cargo shorts with his combat boots and his B32R strapped to his leg. Just taking it easy I guess. He had ear buds shoved in his ears and was blaring Three Days Grace Expectations.

"John get your lazy tail outta bed right now", he ordered.

"Yeah, yeah", I said, "gimme a minute, meet you at the mess hall?"

"New body",Hudson said, "same old Johnathan."

"Pff", I said, "go away."

Hudson smiled at me and left the room. I lay my head between my paws and was drifting back to sleep when Adelind licked my cheek.

"Morning my love", she whispered, "did you sleep well."

I smiled and returned her lick, "I did."

"So are you happy to see your old friends again?", Adelind asked.

I smiled, "course I am, there every bit the Marines I remember."

"What's a Marine?", Helix asked with a yawn.

I laughed and picked her up by her tail and set her between my paws.

"A Marine is a solider who does land and water based missions sweetheart", I said licking the top of her head.

"Cool", she said.

"I want in the Draco Project when I get older", Ace said.

"Me too", Dusk said.

I smiled. I was happy that my kids wanted to follow in my footsteps one day. In worried about them ending up in combat, and possibly hurt, but it is what it is I guess.

"Hudson said to meet him at the mess hall", I said standing, "let's go before he blows a fuse."

Adelind picked up the kids and we walked to the mess hall. As we exited the infirmary, all the memories I had of Firebase Charlie came rushing back. I could see a few old friends out in around and the base was just as intimidating now as it was back in '99. The six guard towers stood over watching the entire base, the men within them ready night and day. The six 200mm cannons stood tall and proud, ready to annihilate any threat their crews spotted. The hangers were playing host to the Warthogs of the pilots stationed here and a lone Predator drone resided in the back, being a loner suited it perfectly. The HQ building stood in the path of the sunlight and the basketball court and the wash room at each of it's sides.

When we arrived at the mess hall, Hudson was standing in the door way with Wyatt and Issac, talking with a short, skinny Hispanic man with brown hair and eyes.

"Hey Corey?", I asked, "remember me?"

Corey looked at me for a minute, then smiled widely, "your an ass John, you know that right?"

"Talk to the paw", I said hugging him.

He glanced over at Adelind and bowed slightly, "Mam."

Adelind blushed.

"She yours?", Corey asked.

Adelind's cheeks went red.

I smiled and warped a wing around my mate, "all mine."