The Flashback

The chopper touched down, stirring me from my sleep.

"Were here",the pilot said.

We quickly piled out and the chopper took off.

"Everyone gather around",I said pulling out my map,"were right above the compound. From what I saw in the pictures at base,the area is crawling with hostiles,which is a good indication that our traitor is still here."

"How we going in?",Frank asked.

"Quietly",I replied.

Frank smirked,"my specialty."

I was folding my map back up when I noticed we were missing someone.

"Wait",I said,"where the fuck is Hudson?"

"Up there",Wyatt said motioning to a tall cliff,"he's running a scout on a few possible insertion points to make sure we aren't ambushed."

I nodded and tucked my map back in my vest before sitting on an old crate and starring out at the barren landscape. It was like something out of Mad Max, a bonified desert wasteland,empty of life and full of death. There was a soft thump as a coil of rope landed on the sand and Hudson began repelling down the side of the cliff.

"It's show time",he said landing.

"What ya see brother?",I asked.

"Sand, sand more sand and some more fucking sand",Hudson snuffed, red in the face from the heat.

"Were in the middle of the Afghan desert",I replied sarcastically,"did ya expect roses?"

"Can it John",Hudson snuffed,"let's get this traitor."

I cocked my 48,"I vote kill."

"I vote kill",Hudson said,"I read the books and seen the movies,take the guy alive and it blows up in your face."

"Guy's about to be in a shit load of hurt",Issac said.

Wyatt charged his SCAR and checked his pistol before nodding that he was ready. Jackson and Frank did the same and we began to walk towards the road that ran above the cave. There was an intact guard rail that we could reppel from and take anyone on guard duty by surprise. As we were walking out onto the road,I stopped as something had caught my eye with a dim glimmer. Stuck in a decayed body between two boulders, was an Egyptian sword. The sheath was laying on the ground next to it, all three like they hadn't been touched in decades.

"That's coming with me",I said aloud.

I dropped the bi pod on my rifle and wedged the crowbar from the technical kit on the back of my vest between the rocks and forced the sword loose. I then stuck the crowbar back in my kit and pulled the sword free. It was in great shape. The blade was Damascus's steel and the handle was silk wrapped with a copper knob on the end. The blade had a nasty curve to it and was still extremely sharp. I was admiring my new blade as Hudson walked over to me.

"Damn bro",He said,"the hell ya gonna do with that?"

"Ah ya never know",I said swinging it a few times and putting it in it's sheath and setting it on my vest. I picked up my rifle and walked with Hudson back to the guard rail.

"Were gonna have to do this two at a time",I said taking my repel gear from my pack,"Hudson and I will go down first,"Issac,you and Wyatt will follow us and Jackson and Frank will bring up the rear."

"Hook up here John",Hudson said,"least rusty bit."

Hudson and I placed the two repel ropes on the guard rail and began a frontal walk descent,like what you may see a really good military movie. We were followed by the others who were in close pursuit. As we came on an overhang, I spotted two tangos dressed all in black with MP-5ks.