Broken Steel

St L'o,France

3:25 PM 4/29/1943

Firebase Delta

Jack's POV

American and British fighters flew over the camp as Alex and I relaxed in the Jeep. It was hotter than hell,so everyone was just taking it easy.

"Why?" Alex asked looking at me,"why is it so freaking hot?"

"Don't ask me,I replied throwing off my shirt,"i don't control the weather."

Alex was a skinny,113 pound fourteen year old,but you'd never guess do to his massive six three hight. He stood a full inch taller than me and his blue eyes and short hair perfectly suited his skinny frame.

I was fifteen and was around six feet. I had short spiky black hair and and green eyes,which were covered by sunglasses because I always hated bright light.

"Hey Perez",Hayes called.

"Yeah?" I called from the jeep.

"Come over here for a minute."

I pulled myself from the jeep and went over to my friend. He was a massive,6'11 beast of a man with huge biceps the size of a Comp-B demolition charges,and could do almost as much damage with them as he could with any rifle.

"What you need sir?" I asked.

  "I got five bucks that says you can't hit those four helmets all in a row."

"Oh yeah?" I replied smirking,"I've got a fifty in my wallet that says I hit them all."

Hayes smiled. "All right private",he said throwing a fifty on the crate next to his M1 carbine,"fifty bucks."

I went back to the jeep and retrieved my M1 carbine from the backseat.

"It's not to late to back out",Hayes said as I stepped up to the firing line.

"In your dreams Hayes",I said taking aim and sending a helmet flying.

"Good shot",Hayes said,"but don't get cocky,there's still three more."

ghted in another helmet and let the bullet fly,sending the helmet to the ground,quickly repeating myself on the other two helmets. I turned and looked at Hayes,gripping my rifle by it's stock.

"I believe I just made fifty greenbacks,I said smirking and taking the money.

"Alright private,Hayes said opening a box of grenades,"if your such a good shot,fifty more bucks says you can't throw this grenade through that window."

"Deal,I said throwing down a bill.

  I picked up the grenade and pulled the pin,pulling back my arm to arc the throw. After a second,I tossed it. The frag flew right through the window and exploded,caving the house in around it.

"Anymore challenges sir?" I asked smiling.

"That will be all private",Hayes said smiling,"dismissed."

I walked back to the jeep. Alex was lazily reclined with his feet up on the dash and his head draped over the back of the seat.

"So how much money did you make?" He asked with out opening his eyes.

"Hundred",I replied.

"Pff,Alex huffed,"when will he learn that making a bet with you always equals loss of funds?"

"Hopefully never,I replied picking my up from the dash and wiping the sweat from my chest and back. I pulled a clean,cool,dry shirt from my ruck and pulled it on before getting back into the jeep. I placed my Carbine on the dash and reclined with my feet up on the dash,like Alex was doing. Even through closed eyes and sunglasses,it was still bright enough to hurt my eyes.