Reality Check

Only after my visit to Nolan did the gravity of what was going on really begin to set in on me. We were about to invade the US over one traitor and who knew how many people would be killed on both sides just because of him. I shook my head. If I was honest with myself, I was at the point now where I was willing to step on anyone or anything I had to if it meant I'd get to kill Lung. He had ruined my life and left a dent in my family that I wasn't sure I could fix. I had promised him at the temple that if he gave me one reason to suspect that he'd betray me that I'd tear him apart, and I knew that he believed me, but had gone through with his plans anyway, for the life of me I couldn't figure out why, still haven't.

When I got back to the barracks, Danny and Alex were laying outside the barracks discussing something with Adelind, what, I wasn't sure.

"You okay Dad?", Danny asked, "you look stoned."

"Maybe I am", I sighed, "I just talked to Nolan."

"And?", Adelind asked.

"Were invading the US", I said, "Nolan knows where Lung is and decided were going after him."

"That's pretty stiff ", Danny huffed, "were gonna start a war with the US over one traitor?"

"Seems that way", I told him, "if you had been here a couple of weeks back when Nolan issued a formal declaration of war, you'd know that the entire country is eager for this, they want war."

"That's a first", Alex said tilting his head, "A war that the people actually want?"

"Considering the fact that most of the people here have been betrayed by America", Danny said, "I can see why their a bit trigger happy, they want more revenge than anything else."

"Payback's a bitch", Alex said.

"Amen", I answered, "US Army wants to pick a fight? Well their about to have one."

As we talked, Hudson came out of the barracks with Fireclaw and Ator in tow. They had their guns and range bags with them.

"Hitting the range huh?", I asked.

"Yep", Hudson said, "something the matter?"

"Just tired more than anything", I yawned, "I haven't slept very well since my parents were executed."

"I can imagine", Hudson replied, "you okay?"

"I will be once we get Lung", I answered, "round up the others, were gonna hit the course, I'll explain on the way."

Hudson gave me a funny look and then went inside. About five minutes later he came back out with the others in tow, soon we were on our way down to the motor pool where our MYT was waiting.

"So what's up?", Mnerloth asked, "why we hitting the course?"

"Practice before the invasion", I answered.

"Invasion?", Syralth asked, "what invasion?"

"Nolan decided to go through with the invasion of the US", I answered, "were going into get Lung."

Syralth sighed, "this should be an interesting couple of weeks."

"No doubt", I said as I climbed into the MYT.

"Hopefully this will be like Panama", Hudson said as the MYT gave a lurch forward, "an invasion a couple of hours long and won't escalate into World War 3."

"You and me both", Mnerloth said, "I don't want a 20 year long war with America."

"I doubt anyone does", I said, "what they really want is Draco in ashes."