Turn Of Events-Part 3

I waited. Time was moving in slow motion. I started to get dizzy, then my vision started to blur. This was how death felt. I can't describe the feeling, it was one of utter chill, helplessness. The poison seemed to drive the warmth from my body. My friends stopped crying as their throats began to close. Val started to choke, then Rolland, Ator, Sozenn, Fireclaw then Syralth, then finally me. I glanced at Fireclaw, who was beside me, his eyes were huge and his pupils were dilated, he had tears streaming down his face as he struggled to get a breath.

Not being able to breathe was the worst feeling I'd ever experienced. I was struggling to get a breath, calling on everything I had to lite my fire and burn off the poison, get a breath, fight somehow, but I couldn’t. The sedative had complete control over me. I tried breathing through my nose, but it had closed too.

“After all we've been through”, I asked myself, “Africa, Vietnam, Russia, we survived, this is how we go out? We watch one anther suffocate?”

Everything suddenly went white. I was standing in upright and my paws were on what felt like ceramic.

“Major”, I a voice came from behind me, “turn around, we need to speak.”

I turned to see, myself standing there, as a human. He..I was dressed in black fatigues with the selves cut off and had the B32 strapped to my leg and my Mk-48 over my shoulder.

“Where am I?”, I asked.

“Limbo”, John replied, “your body can't decide to die or to keep fighting. I'm here to tell you that today is not the day, there's still too much to be done.”

“What's left?”, I asked, “they got me so drugged I can't move.”

“Don't you fucking give ME lip soldier”, John shouted, “you have a family to take care of, friends to protect and a country to defend do you understand the words coming off my lips Marine? TODAY IS NOT YOUR DAY! Marine's don't quit. In the void we lurk, from the shadow we strike..”

“Raven's never die!”, I shouted.

Everything suddenly snapped back to reality and the carrier was shaking violently.

“Attention all soldiers”, a voice came over a loud speaker, “we are being boarded by an unknown enemy, man your b...”

The man on the PA was cut short as a gunshot cracked over the system. Three men,dressed from head to toe in black gear,entered the room and quickly killed the doctors who were putting us down.

“Stop the damn thing!”, one of the men screamed.

One of the humans brought the end of his gun down on the machine as the other two pulled the hoses from our throats. The men pulled out syringes and gave us each an injection. I could feel my throat and airways open,but I felt my heart began to race.

“No”, the man said, “this one is having a reaction,we need to get him back to the ship!”

As the men heaved me off the table, my vision went blurry and I began to sweat heavily. The heat left my body and a chilled feeling took over as my fire went out. I slipped out as we emerged into the sunlight.

When I woke up,I was in a white room. I was chilled from the effects of the Cyanide,as well as whatever they'd given me to purge it from my system. I yawned as I stretched out, expecting to hit Adelind or one of my five kids, but there was nothing. I felt around again, my paws again found nothing but emptiness. I rolled over on my stomach and then started to try and stand. My first two attempts failed, but I succeeded on my third. I exited my room and was met by a man in a lab coat.

“You need rest”, he said blocking my way, “go back and lay down.”

“I just need to see someone”, I said.

“Who”, the man asked, “I'll see he or she gets to you as soon as possible.”

“I need my mate Adelind”, I said.

The doctor met me with a soul piercing glance, “Adelind Serelath?”

“Yes” I said, “I need to see her.”

“She's dead Major.”

My heart stopped.

“What did you just say?”,I asked quaking.

“She's dead”, the doctor said, “killed in a raid on the resistance base.”

“No...”, I said my heart beginning to race, “no, not her, not her...but what about my cubs?”, I quickly added, “are they okay?”

“Who are they?”, the doctor asked.

“Their names are Ace, Dusk, Helix, Tyson and Kayel.”

It was as if my body had shut down waiting for his answer.

“The names do ring a bell”, he said, “I'm sorry,but they were killed as well.”

I could feel the tears coming.

“Can I at least see their bodies?”, I asked in a shaky voice.

“You wouldn’t like what you'll see.”

“I don't care”, I said crying, “take me to my family! I have to see them off...”

“Very well”, he doctor said, “I'll take you to them.”

The doctor led me down the hall and into a room with six tables,all of which held bodies. I could feel my breathing shallow as the doctor uncovered the bodies.

Adelind's throat was torn to shreds and her abdomen was ripped open, her muzzle was covered in her blood and pieces of her flesh she had not gone without a fight. The kids hadn't passed peacefully either. Their skulls had been caved in and they had their throats ripped out. I started to pant as I looked at them,my heart began to race, the tears followed shortly.

“Get him out of here”, the doctor said as he recovered the bodies.

The human walked me back to the room. I lay down on bed and burst into tears. I had lost everything. Adelind and my kids were my whole world, and now, they were gone forever. Before I left for the mission, I had not said goodbye to Adelind. I pictured her face in my head as I balled up and sobbed. I had no one to talk to, no one to cry to, no one to comfort me. For 25 years, Adelind had been there whenever I needed her, now, she was gone and I wasn't there to defend her.

I was by myself now, I had nothing.

Adelind was gone, Ace, Dusk, Helix, Tyson and baby Kayel, they were gone. I sobbed harder than I ever had. Adelind's torn throat and abdomen seared into my brain. With the image of her and my cubs burned into my eyes, I cried myself to sleep.