Down Time

I found it somewhat strange that I hadn't seen Shadow last night. It was late when we got back in all, but I still felt like I should have seen him at least in his room before I bedded down last night and I hadn't. Something didn't feel just right, but maybe I was just worrying a little too much.

The next morning I was stirred by a cool breeze blowing in through the window. I wiped the sleep from my eyes, stretched for a minute and then walked to the window. The sky was a clear, cloudless blue. The sun was coming over the edge of the ocean and leaving orange and gold stripes in a sea of transparent water.

“Wow”, I said to myself, “this is amazing.”

“Hmm?”, Adelind asked as she woke.

“Come look at this”, I said motioning her over to me.

She rolled out of bed and walked over to me. I watched a smile form across her muzzle as she stared outside.

“Pretty”, she said brushing up against my side.

“Like you”, I said looking into her eyes.

She blushed.

I smiled and pulled her into a kiss. We stood there locked into that kiss at least ten minutes or so, but it felt like hours. I pulled away and looked out the window again.

“Have you thought about it?”, Adelind asked.

“About what?”, I inquired.

“What it is were going to do once this is all over”, Adelind said, “I mean, I love it here and I know the kids do too, but I feel a little homesick.”

“And at the same time your not sure you want to leave”, I answered.

Adelind looked at me curiously, “how'd you know?”

“I've been feeling the same way since the first couple of days we were here”, I told her, “I do want to stay here, I feel like we could have amazing lives here, but at the same time, I grew up at Tacoma, we both did, we've even risked our lives for it.”

“You risked your life for this place too”, Adelind said rubbing against me.

I sighed, “I know.”

“You'll figure it out”, she said, “for now, let's get our kids and go eat.”

I smiled. We walked across the hall to the kids room. We entered and saw that they were piled on top of each other in a tangled mass of scales, wings, tails and horns. I wondered how they managed to tie themselves up like that.

“Siamese dragon knot?”, I asked, “I didn't know such a thing existed.”

“Apparently it does”, Adelind said, “how are we supposed to untie them?”

“Like this”, I answered, “hey guys wake up, breakfast time.”

Instantly, ten eyes popped open and the knot was soon five separate cubs.

“Breakfast?”, Tyson asked.

“Yup”, I answered, “you all coming or not?”

Adelind and I picked them up and walked down to the mess hall. Ator and Vanlith met us there.

“Hey Tyro”, Ator said, “whats up?”

“Wishing I had a camera”, I replied as my cubs slid off my back, “Adelind and I found Ace and his siblings tied into a knot.”

“How'd you get it undone?”, Vanlith asked.

“By using the all powerful word breakfast”, I laughed.