Hide And Seek

We arrived at the command tent where Hunter and a another feral were hunched over a table that contained a few holograms.

“Guys”, Hunter said, “we got a job.”

“What is it?”, Fireclaw asked.

Hunter rolled out blueprints to what looked like an old oil plant. Judging from the specs, the plant was an easy thirty acres.

“Your being sent to an old industrial complex”, Hunter said, “there's a Project Draco escapee hiding there unbeknownst to the workers. She doesn't know were coming and she's young, intel places her around Vez's age Tyro, Shadow and Nina will be under your command and you'll be leading the mission since you have the most military experience.”

“Understood”, I replied, “gimme the details.”

“Scouts and a Predator drone in the area counted several hundred armed guards, around forty guards and security ranging from razor wire to landmines.”

“Is the complex off line?”, I asked, “that's a ton of security.”

“The complex is off line”, Hunter replied, “we suspect that this is little more than an RDH outpost.”

“RDH?”, I asked

“Rouge Dragon Hunters”, Lung stated, “animals who pass off as humans.”

“I have a pretty strong bullshit barrier”, Hunter said, “but those people make me wanna cut my own brain out. Your primary objective is to recover the Draco escapee and get her back safe. Recon the facility and steal some intel if you can, but she takes priority.”

“All of the knowledge in the world is not worth your life Major Serelath”, Lung said, “if you are compromised, retreat, there is no shame in such.”

“I understand”, I said, “when do we go.”

“Two hours”, Hunter said, “get your stuff ready to go. This is a small mission, so it will be select, you, Shadow and Nina.”

“Got it”, I said as we left. Shadow and Nina went back to their room and I returned to mine. Adelind was laying on her bed watching the kids play and I took the opportunity to slip in with out getting attacked.

“What did Lung want?”, Adelind asked curling against me.

“He had a rescue mission for me”, I replied, “going to rescue someone who ran from the Draco project.”

“When do you go?”, she asked.

“Two hours”, I replied, “see if you can keep them quiet, I wanna get some sleep.”

She laughed, “quiet isn't in their understanding of words.”

I laughed and lay my head on the pillow, quickly falling asleep. It was about an hour and a half before Adelind woke me up.

“Shadow just stopped by”, she said, “he said to tell you to come down to the dock.”

I smiled and stood. I showered off and slipped into my black combat fatigues and unlocked my locker for my 105. While I did this, my kids launched a surprise assault. All of them lept at me so quickly I was knocked onto my side.

“Are you going on a mission Daddy?”, Helix asked.

I laughed and moved them off me.

“Yes I am sweetie.”

“Are you gonna shoot the bad guys?”, Tyson asked happily.

I smiled, “only if they give me a reason to, otherwise they get to live.”