Leads

I slept fairly well that night. I woke up a few times due to the thunder storm that was blowing outside, which scared the life out of the kids and ended up moving them to our room, but other than that the night was uneventful.

When I woke up the next morning, there wasn't any sun coming in through the window like there usually was and the storm was still in full swing. The kids were huddled against each other in the corner and under all their blankets, the only parts of them that were visible was Helix's tail, Ace's Head and paw and Tyson's tron wing, everything else was hidden. Smiling, I stretched out, staying under the covers as the room was fairly chilly. I rolled onto my side and put my arm around Adelind, pulling her close to me.

If there was one thing I could never get enough of it was the two of us pressed together. Even when I was little we used to cuddle all the time and it hadn't stopped as we got older. Just having my arm around her, having her right there, made me relax in such away that I felt like I could just sink into the area around me. I closed my eyes again. No sooner than I did she rolled over so that the tips of our snouts were touching and I was looking right into her icy blue eyes with flecks of glowing bright silver threaded into them.

"Morning my boy", she said pulling me into a kiss.

"Morning to you too", I said pulling away.

"Is it still storming outside?", she asked.

"Yeah", I said, "it's coming down real hard right..."

I was interrupted when a clasp of thunder that sounded like my 105 exploded above us. The entire barracks rattled, shaking the bed, windows and startling all of the kids awake at once. Even Adelind and I jumped.

"Jeez", Ace said in Draco, the first Draco we'd spoken since this whole ordeal started, "are we being bombed?"

"Sounds like it", Tyson replied, also in Draco.

I let go of Adelind and rolled out of bed, slipping my dog tags over my neck. We walked out into the living room and Adelind turned on the TV while I started heating a cast iron frying pan for pancakes. I grabbed the eggs and milk out of the fridge and got the mix down from the cupboard with a big mixing bowl. I poured the mix into the bowl, added two eggs and the milk. I mixed it until it was a thick paste and then poured it onto the pan. There was a loud crack and sizzling sound and a pleasant, vanilla smelling aroma filled my house. I could hear a few sniffs, a pause and several, quiet muffled voices from the living room. There was the slight sound of hushed breathing coming from just behind the wall. I smiled to myself and set the rubber spatula down. I crept over to the wall and lowered myself to the ground, placing my ear against the wall. I could hear three, distinct heartbeats, as well as smell their fear of discovery. I crawled to the edge of the wall and lay there as a small head poked around the corner, it was Helix, she didn't see me. I reached out and tapped the side of her face, scaring her completely white and making her jump. She must have been on the bottom because I heard the other two fall to the ground.

"Busted", I said laughing.

"Daddy!", Helix whined, "that wasn't funny."

"Yes it was", I said nuzzling her.

"Was not", Helix pouted.

"Yes it was", Ace said from the living room, "I saw the whole thing!"

"Whose side are you on!?", Tyson asked.

Ace shrugged.

"I'll kill you!", Dusk said leaping at Ace. He moved out of the way at the last second and Dusk smacked into the wall. Ace calmly stood and pinned Dusk on his stomach.