Trigger

I woke up late the next morning, finding that Adelind wasn't beside me. My ears perked up as the sound of laughter and yelling hit them. I cracked open one eye to discover my mate laying in the grass outside our den watching the kids play. I smiled at the scene outside before rising and stretching out my long body, lowering my front end to the ground like a cat.

How would I describe my appearance? 

I was a eight foot tall and thirty six foot long Arctic Desert Mountain dragon (three breeds, creepy I know). I had shaded tan scales covering most of my body with light grey ones covering my inch thick chest plates, neck and underneath my tail. My wings were about 240 feet long wing fully extended and about four when I folded them in.  My two horns were about four feet long and curved back on my head at about a fifty degree angle. I also had several spines on each cheek and ones around my eyes. More spines rested at the tip of my snout and chin, looking like they were there to break rocks. The color of these, like the rest of me were several shades of brown. As for my build, I'm extremely heavy chested with a thick neck and legs. It's all solid muscle as well, like I was made from liquid steel. Some of my friends, namely Fireclaw and Sozenn, look at me and claim to be able to smell the power coming off of me. Overall, I'm a bit big for my breed, but other than that

I'm a normal Mountain Alpha.

As I walked out of my den, I overheard a conversation between my kids and mate that caused me to smile.

"Mommy",Helix begged,"please can we wake daddy?"

"No honey",Adelind said softly,"let your father sleep."

"But Mom!",Dusk squealed,"he promised he'd take us hunting!"

"I did say that didn't I?",I asked as I exited the den, remembering the promise I'd made to them several days earlier and how exited they had been for it.

"Morning my love",Adelind said rising and nuzzling me,"did you sleep well?"

I smiled at her,"of course I did, you were right next to me."

Adelind blushed. Even after twenty three years of being with me I could still get her.

"Dad!",Ace squealed,"you promised you would take us hunting!"

"Yes I did",I said laughing,"claws?"

"Check",Ace replied.

"Teeth?"

Dusk grinned, showing his fangs.

"Check",Ace said again.

I smiled. "Empty stomachs?"

They smiled widely.

"Check!",they exclaimed.

I laughed again and looked to Adelind,"well were off my love, expect us back around sunset."

Adelind pulled me into a kiss.

"Kids stay safe and listen to your father."

"Yeah Mom",Ace said.

"And you?",she said looking me in the eye,"behave yourself and try to be a good example."

I smiled and kissed Adelind again before leading the kids into the forest. The sun was high in the sky, telling me it was around noon. There were small wispy clouds in the sky. There were chirps and calls of birds high in the trees and everything was peaceful. Ace, Helix and Dusk were darting in and out of the bushes, flipping over rocks and searching every nook and cranny. They loved it when I would take them on walks through the Forest, they'd catch all manner of birds, snakes, squirrels and even insets to show me. None of them could fly yet, because I hadn't taught them how. The could hover five or six feet off the ground, but that was about it. Normally you taught your cubs to fly once your oldest was five. I wanted them to be ahead of the other kids, so today I had said I was taking them hunting while my true intentions were to teach them how to fly, use their fire and of course hunt. We had been walking for about a half hour when we stopped at the lake. I plunged my snout into the water and slurped it up as Ace asked from behind me.