A Horrible Plan

We tried to find another plan to using Shadow like live bait during the fly home, but couldn't come up with a viable option. Anything we could think of either wasn't enough to make Wei step into a trap, or so much it might tip him off. Greyson put the 22 down on the helo pad at about 5:40 that afternoon. Adelind was out there waiting. I walked up to her as the others dispersed.

"How'd it go?", she asked.

"Bad", I answered, "Marin may as well have just said, "cut Shadow's wings off and throw him down a hole."

Adelind raised her brow at me, "come again?"

"He said that we have to bait a trap if we want to catch Wei", I said, "and that bait would be?"

"Shadow?", Adelind asked.

I nodded, "it goes against everything I know. Shadow is one of my best friends, I can't just throw him to a wolf and hope I'm quick on the trigger."

"So what are you going to do?", she asked.

"Well I have a bit of a plan", I said, "I'll have to talk to Nolan first though."

"Go", Adelind sighed, sounding rather annoyed.

"I promise we'll spend some time together tonight sweetheart", I said hugging her and kissing her cheek, "you and the kids always come first, I know I haven't really been putting you first lately, but I promise you this will all be over soon."

"No you can't", she said leaning into me, "you can't even promise that you'll come back after each mission. The least you could do is let me tag along, I know I'm not really trained, but..."

"If something happened to you because you were following an order I gave you", I said, "I would NEVER forgive myself. I'd have to tell the kids...somehow, that I got you killed. That would brake our family into tiny, irrecoverable pieces."

"Point taken", Adelind sighed.

I winced. I knew she was annoyed with the way things were going even if she wasn't saying it. I didn't want her to be angry at me, but I couldn't leave Nolan blowing in the wind, especially with the war path the country was on right now. I promised Adelind that I'd be home for dinner, in thirty minutes and then went to the command tent to see Nolan. He was dressed in a Hawaiian shirt and shorts with sandles on. He was wearing a straw hat and had a pair of sunglasses on them. An odd thing was that he still had his Sig P226 strapped on under his shirt, which was open.

"What on Earth is going on with your get-up?", I asked, "Hawaiian print is one thing....but open carry on top of it?"

"My day off", Nolan said, "or at least it was supposed to be. And it is my private sidearm that I have a Constitutional right to carry, open or concealed. You got something Major?"

"Two things actually", I said handing him the requisition form, "the Commander of the base we landed at asked me to give this to you."

Nolan took it and handed it off to another man with him, "so what's the other thing you needed?"

"The meet went well", I said.

"Good to hear", Nolan said, "what did Marin give you?"

"The same thing Andrews did", I said.

Nolan raised an eyebrow.

"Throw Lung a bone to lure him out", I said, "just...that bone is Shadow."

"Are you kidding me?", Nolan asked.

"Wish I was", I answered, "but I'm not. Both dragons said the same thing, that if we give Shadow to lung we can get him."

"That's a bullshit plan Major", Nolan said, "I can't even count the number of ways that can go wrong."

"Agreed", I told him, "if you think you have another way, lay it on me. The last thing I wanna do is toss Shadow to the wolves and then explain to Nina that I got him cut open."

Nolan sighed and leaned back in his seat, "I don't think there IS another way. Lung could strike anywhere at any time and take God knows how many prisoners with him. If you think you can convince Shadow to play live bait, then I say go for it. Just be prepared to pay for it when it goes South."

"I understand", I said, "we'll be gone at the first sign of trouble."

"Be careful Major", Nolan said, "if you spring your little trap and Lung gets away you'll never trick him again."

"I'm aware", I said leaving the tent. I walked down to the barracks and entered, stopping by Shadow and Nina's. They were sitting in their living room watching TV with little Taro in between Nina's paws. I knocked on the door and Shadow got up to answer.

"Hey Tyro", he said, "haven't seen you in a few days. What's up?"

"I need to talk to you Shadow", I said, "alone."

"Okay", he said stepping out into the hall, shutting the door behind him, "what you need."

"I think I have a plan to lure Lung out", I told him.

"Good", Shadow said growling a little.

"But you won't like it", I said.

Why not?", he asked.

"Because it involves live bait", I said, "and by live bait....I mean you."

Shadow's face went pale.

"Your gonna use me...as bait?", he asked stuttering.

I nodded.

"Who the fuck came up with that plan?!", Shadow yelped, "I don't want to be bait!"

"I don't think we have a choice brother", I said, "both of our contacts told me that your the one Lung is most likely to jump at."

"I don't care!", Shadow said, "your not using me as bait!"

"Got a better idea?", I asked, "I'm all ears at this point."

Shadow didn't answer me except for, "how do you plan on setting the trap?"

"I'm not sure about that yet", I said, "it would have to be someplace we could easily tail him back to his hideout and take him there."

"If I'm gonna be bait make damn sure you get this figured out", Shadow said.

"I will", I said, "if worst comes to worst....well try not to think about that."