Turn Of Events-Part 1

Lightning streaked across the pitch black sky and the waves smashed against the sides of our RHIB as we neared the USS Draco. It stood as an even blacker smudge in the night that was flashing with red and blue lights. I found my mind whacking out, thinking of all the ways this could possibly go wrong and plan an infinite number of back up plans for each different possible way this could mess up.

There was a mist spraying against me that I hadn't felt since my time in The Great Pacific. The spay coated my entire body and the rain was running down my crest, the sides of my muzzle and down my neck and back. The coolness of it made me feel alive. I felt like I was back in the Marine Corps.

“Feel's good doesn't it?”

I turned around, half expecting to see Jackson, but instead, it was my shy friend Val.

“It's been a long time since the Ocean had a go around with me”, I laughed.

“Five minutes out everyone”, Hudson said, “get your shit and get ready.”

Our human friends began checking over their equipment while Syralth ran through his stuff and then helped my vest onto my back. I thought it was somewhat lighter than normal, but I was sure it would get heavy as the mission went on.

Soon the RHIB began to slow down. With the stop, the dragons drove over the side while the humans began climbing the side of the carrier. We surfaced on the other side and flew up, perching ourselves on the control tower. There was one guy in the control room watching Everybody Loves Raymond and a small, blue Arctic cub sleeping under a table. Fireclaw had given us everything, patrol routes, shift changes, who was where and when, everything.

“Talk to me Tyro”, Hudson called, “we have negative contact, your intel was solid Fireclaw.”

“Of course it was”, Fireclaw replied, “I'm awesome.”

“Negative here too”, I replied, “I'm staring in at the control room now, one guy watching TV and a small cub sleeping underneath a table”, In smiled to myself, “remember the drill old man?”

“Sound suppressors on”, Hudson said mimicking my accent, “fuck yes I do.”

I turned my attention on the sound of a metal door creaking open, two humans walked out, having a conversation about the New York Giants.

“Right on time”, Sozenn stated, “let's do this.”

Our black vests gave us perfect cover to approach the un aware humans. With one swift motion, we dropped them, clean and quick.

“Let's move inside”, I said, “Fireclaw on point, Sozenn follows me.”

Fireclaw slowly pulled the door open and we followed him in. The carrier was dimly lit, like what you might see in a closed store. We ducked from shadow to shadow to evade detection from humans as well as a few cubs who had decided that it was a good idea to go out after their parents had fallen asleep. We continued down the long hallway, waited for a few guards to pass and then entered the cell blocks.

“We got zip shit on this end”, Hudson called, “what you guys got?”

“Entering the detention blocks now”, I replied, “what cell is our package in?”

“Cell 321”, Hudson replied, “end of hallway 219.”

“That's where we are”, Ator said, “out.”

The cell was at the end of the hall, just like Hudson said. I could see a dragon inside, one fitting the picture to the letter. He was muzzled, chained and asleep with a snore, telling me he'd be sedated.