Final Moments

I don't know how long I was out, but when I woke,I was laying in a hospital bed. My vision was blurry and my hearing was noting more than a quiet,distant ring. I was covered from my neck down in bandages and could tell I was missing limbs. Tubes and wires disappeared into my chest and my left eye was covered in gauze,leading me to assume it was gone. My entire body was numb,but at the same time,I was cold allover. It wasn't like the cold you get when your wet and you stand in front of a fan on the third setting. No this was a...burning, hot cold, so cold that I felt like I was on fire. My head was pounding harder than it ever had, like I had the mother of all hangovers, I easily had a Grade 3 concussion and each heartbeat made my body feel like it was just going to collapse in on itself. I had barely any control over myself, only being able to move my right arm. But that seemed like the least of my problems. Tough it was faint, I could hear Hudson yelling at someone.

"You didn't say a fucking thing about..."

It was to distant, I couldn't make it out, but I could hear Issac's reply.

"You know it's the only way he's going to live."

"Like I give a fuck!!?, Hudson asked, "their plan is complete bullshit!"

"Cool it Hudson!", Wyatt shouted.

Maybe I moved, twitched, rasped or something, but Issac turned his attention towards me.

"Hey",Issac said,"he's awake."

Hudson,Issac and Wyatt gathered around me. Emelia nudged me a little and I reached out to pet her. She pushed herself underneath my arm and rested her head on my bandaged chest,whimpering like hurt dog might,she was crying too. I then noticed Frank wasn't here.

"Where's...Frank?",I rasped.

I managed,even with a broken jaw,to somehow get the words out.

"He's dead",Issac said with tears in his eyes,"killed in the crash."

"No",I rasped,feeling the tears streamed down my burned face,"first Jackson in Vietnam,Frank in Africa and now I'm next!"

'Maybe not soldier",a doctor said walking in,he had a long syringe in his hand,"Marine, this is extract agent,you are at the center of quite possibly the biggest advancement of genetics in human history, I'm going to ask you a few questions, here we go."

"Marine,do you want pictures to be filed of what happens during this operation?"

"Yes",I rasped out.

"Your new body must be grown,there are two ways of doing this, the natural way, witch will take upwards of 18 years to fully mature, due to the fact that you must literally be re born, and artificial though this way makes the body less durable and will result in a quicker deterioration, do you want natural or artificial?"

"Natural",I rasped,"I want a clean start."

"Last one Marine",the doctor said,"do you want your memory wiped or implanted, if you have it wiped, we will intergrate triggers in your DNA to restore it."

I coughed up a bit of blood before rasping,"wipe it."

"How bad is it?",I rasped looking at Hudson.

"Bad",he said crying,"both your legs and left arm are gone,your lungs are crushed,your heart has lead slug lodged in it and your skull is powder and your spine snapped in six places."

"Taylor's gonna let me have it",I rasped through tear filled eyes and a burnt throat.

"Are you ready soldier?",The doctor asked.

"Do it",I rasped.

The doctor stuck me in the neck with the needle. The warm,vile tasting liquid filled my throat and I began to slip out. I pulled Emelia as close as I could and she gently licked the side of my face,tears streaming down her scaled face.

"Issac?",I said with my voice trailing off.

"Yeah",he said crying,"I'm here little brother!"

"Keep...keep the team together",I rasped,"when I come back,I want a combat ready team...un...understood?"

"Understood Major sir!",he said saluting me,his eyes filled with tears.

"Come on John",Emelia said through tear filled whines,"don't leave us,please don't die!"

"Emelia?",I rasped smiling,"Marines don't...die."

It was the last thing I said before slipping over the edge.