Fresh Start

27 Years later

Tacoma Dragon Preserve

Southern Colorado

Tyro's POV

Sozenn crashed to the ground, red in cheeks and panting as I pined him and held him under my weight.

"Looks like I win again Sozenn",I said with a prideful smirk.

"Yeah yeah",Sozenn said laughing,"nice one Tyro".

Sozenn was my best friend and we had the worst case of rivalary that you can possibly imagine. But we looked out for each other. One time when we were little, we had sunk away from our hunting group and gone after a caribou. I had stalked it and was getting ready to pounce when a pack of Bobcats had attacked me. I could take three or four on my own, but the ten that there were would have ripped me to shreds had it not been for Sozenn and his reflexes. Sozenn was a dark green Woodland dragon with grey scales running down his undersides. He was a good deal smaller and faster than I was, but if I could pin him, he didn't have the power in his limbs to force me off. Most of our duels end with him pinned under all of my weight. He has bright yellow eyes like a bobcat and razor sharp scales on his thirty foot wings that can slice very easily through a fully grown pine tree. His two, three foot long grey horns protrude backwards from his head like spines on a rose bush and there is not a place on his body that is not covered with scales, expect his wing membranes.

I let off Sozenn and he righted himself as my two boys, Ace and Dusk, continued to spar in the  grass.

Ace, my oldest, was only two. He had tan scales and a blue underbelly. His horns came back about a half foot and his eyes were a bright green. He was about three feet tall and nine feet long with wings that were about eighteen feet in length. Like me, he had spikes around his eyes and on the back of his neck. He also had armor on his snout that went all the way up the ridge of his head.

Dusk on the other hand, was only a year old. He was about two and a half feet tall and seven feet long, considerably smaller and skinnier than his older brother. Unlike either me or his mother, he had black scales and a grey under belly with bright blue eyes. His horns were stubby only being about 4 inches long and he didn't have any spikes or armor to speak of.

Ace had locked his jaws around Dusk's shoulder and wasn't letting go.

"Dad!",Dusk whined,"make Ace let me go!"

"Ace",I said walking up to them,"let your brother go, he dosen't want to play anymore."

Ace let Dusk go, leaving behind deep teeth marks. His shoulder was bleeding pretty badly and Dusk was fighting to stay standing, crying as he did.

"Hey sweetheart?",I called,"come out here a minute."

My mate Adelind exited our den with our youngest cub Helix following her. Adelind was a Mountain Dragon like me. She was streamlined with no horns, spikes or even head armor to speak of. She had tan scales like mine and a blue under belly with crystal like blue eyes. She was about seven feet tall and twenty four feet long with wings about 120 feet in length. She also curved in a way that drove me mad.

Helix, only a year old, was our only daughter and our youngest. She was mostly red with a blue underbelly and bright blue eyes like her mother. She also had the spikes and armor that I did and the arrow on her tail was blue like Ace's and Adelind's.

"What's wrong honey?",Adelind asked walking over to me.

"Ace and Dusk were sparring and Dusk got bit, it looks like Ace bit a litter harder than he should have".

Ace looked guilty.

"Sorry Dusk",he said quietly,"I didn't mean to bite you so hard."

"It's okay",Dusk replied.