Down To The Jungle

Nolan explained to me that the Russians had gotten formally involved in Vietnam's long running civil war and had carried out repeated attacks on Romanian forces in the area where we would be meeting our informant. He also explained that the dragon we would be meeting only wanted "Jackson's Team", so I guessed Nolan took that to mean the people Jackie had been looking for for so many years. Nolan handed me a map of where we would be meeting Marin and that we would be leaving in thirty minutes. I sighed. I had been hoping for the rest that I needed after these past few weeks of constant fighting, but it was what it was I guessed.

I walked back to the barracks and found Adelind and the kids shut up in the room just hanging around. Adelind was lying in our bedroom and the kids were so engrossed in the TV that they hadn't heard me walk in. Adelind had though. I smiled and motioned for her not to move as I crept up from behind the kids. I lowered myself to the ground and as loud as I could, I shouted.

"BRRAAAGGGHHH!"

Their reaction was priceless. Every single one of them cleared at least a foot in the air and Tyson even smacked against the wall, knocking a chip out of his horn. I couldn't help but burst out laughing.

"Daddy!!!", Helix whined, "that wasn't funny!!"

"It kinda was", Ace said laughing.

"I seen you jump!", Tyson said, "you were just as scared as we were!"

"It was still funny", Ace said.

I scooped them up with my wing and hugged them tightly.

"Are you back to stay?", Adelind asked walking in.

"No", I said nuzzling her, "were going to Vietnam to meet someone who used to work for Lung Wei.

"Who?", Adelind asked.

"The same dragon who saved Jackie nearly 30 years ago", I said, "his name's Marin."

I walked into the bedroom for my vest and she followed me back.

"The problem is though that the Russians have gotten involved in the country's civil war, and according to Nolan they've carried out a few attacks on our troops in the area", I said, "plus, Marin said that he only want's "Jackson's team", so Nolan assumed that means old Raven."

"So the rest of us won't be coming?", she asked.

"Nope", I said, "I probably wouldn't take you all to a place like Vietnam anyway, especially with what's going on there right now, it's an in and out mission. Honestly shouldn't take long at all, maybe two hours to fly, an hour to carry out the meet and two hours back."

"So five in the afternoon?", Adelind asked.

"About that", I answered.

"Stay safe", Adelind said licking me.

"I will", I replied returning her lick.

I grabbed my vest and walked back into the living room, pulling all the kids close to me.

"I'm going on a job", I said, "behave for your mother."

"We will Dad", Ace said.

"Good", I said, "I expect you to rat on anyone who doesn't."

"With pleasure", Ace smiled evilly.

Trying not to think about the murder I may have just been indirectly responsible for, I left the room and walked to the landing pad. Jackson had rounded up the others and they were waiting down at the Helo Pad. Greyson was already spinning up the engines.

"Anyone eager to go back to Nam?", I asked as I walked up.

"Not really", Jackie replied, "why would I want to? I almost died there."