Blades, Glory, Machine Guns And Old Friends

When I woke, I wasn't entirely sure where I was exactly. I was laying on what seemed like a bed, but it was way softer than the furs I usually slept on. The gashes in my sides had been patched and the wound on my chest where Razorback had reached inside of me had been restitched and was much cleaner than it had been.

As my mind slowly came back to me, I noticed that Adelind was laying across my back and the kids were curled under me. In the better light, I got a better look at my newly adopted son.

Tyson was indeed a Mountain Dragon, and a very pure breed one at that. He had coffee brown body scales with even darker brown underbelly scales. His eyes were a soft shade of blue and perfectly mixed with his scales. His horns were only about six inches long and the spikes around his eyes were only about half an inch. His horns were chipped and looked like the tips had been cut off. He had spots where his scales had been ripped off and there was a long gash out of his back, which had been stitched closed. The membranes on his wings looked like someone had shredded them, just because. The spots on his sides had been medicated and his right forepaw was warped in a white bandage. He couldn't have been in too much pain, because he was curled against me and sleeping pretty soundly.

 I on the other hand, hurt everywhere. My entire body was aching and tense, two things I never liked together. I had a sore throat and it hurt to breathe. The heat coming off of my cubs and mate helped to warm me up a little and counteract the deep, penetrating chill that seemed to reside in every scale on my body. I attempted to move, but a sudden surge of pain just said no. My attempt to move stirred Adelind.

 "Hey", She said softly and nuzzling me, "how you feeling?"

 "Horrible", I whimpered, "I ache everywhere and I'm cold more than anything."

 Adelind moved closer to me and enfolded me in her wings, "I'm glad your okay."

 I closed my eyes, "I'm thirsty too."

 Adelind rose from the bed and walked into the corner of the room, sliding a small bowl full of water over to me.

 "It's sweet tasting", she said.

 I plunged my snout into the water and drank down as much as I could. She was right. The water was very sweet tasting and refreshing, the fact that it was cold didn't help my core temperature rise back to the 1,500 degrees it needed to be, but it did help my sore throat. After I'd drank every bit of water in the bowl, Adelind and I lay back down with the kids. Tyson and Dusk had now woken up and were talking quietly with one another while Ace and Helix were still asleep.

 I closed my eyes and Adelind put her wings around me, "I love you."

 "I love you too", I said laying my head on her paws.

 I had almost fallen back to sleep when the door clicked open and six humans walked in. Three were dressed in white coats while the other three were dressed in black and carrying large weapons. Adelind rose up and snarled at them.

 "It's okay", one of the men in white said, "were not here to hurt you."

 Adelind didn't buy it and stood her ground, baring her fangs and letting a low hiss roll out of her throat.

 "Please", the man said again, "let us help you!"

 "Stay away from my mate and my cubs", Adelind snarled, "not one step closer."

 I looked in their direction and let smoke roll out of my muzzle. Letting them know that even though I was immobile, I was still more than capable of incinerating them where they stood.

 "Let me talk to him", a males voice came.

 'You sure capt?", another voice asked, it sounded familiar, but I couldn't place it, "he's in pretty bad shape, but he can still incinerate us all if he feels the need."