A Christmas to Remember

I wasn't quite sure what to make of my dream. It seemed almost to be a memory, like I had done it at one point. I'd seen combat in Project Draco before, but I wasn't human, so I had no idea where it was coming from. Though in all honesty, I didn't care, because the next morning Adelind and I were up early to give the kids their presents. We had been hiding the gifts underneath one of the furs we used for a bed, so our sleep was somewhat affected, but it was worth it.

We had given Ace a coat of armor made out of the skeleton of one of my larger kills. At three years old it was a Mountain Dragon's right of passage to make and fight in a suit of armor.

Dusk had long complained that he wanted to know more stories, so after some careful searching at various campsites around the forest, I had turned up several thick books.

Adelind and I had to think a bit about what to get Helix becasue she was never really sure what she wanted. So after some careful thought and almost six months of searching, we had given her a fairly new doll I had found on my last solo hunt.

We had given all the kids a few Dragon Berries, this coconut sized, soft berry that every dragon, regardless of breed or gender, could never get enough of. (Adelind and I had to resist the temptation to eat them ourselves). Some wild plums and some human made blankets that had been left behind by a few careless campers.

Adelind and I were laying beside the fire when Ace woke up, his wings and ears going limp and his maw opening wide when he discovered his armor.

"YES!",he squealed,"IT'S EXACTLY HOW I PICTURED IT!"

Ace's shouts of joy stirred Dusk and Helix, who had similar reactions.

"I can't believe I got books!",Dusk shouted,"I've always wanted some!"

Helix was speechless as she starred at her doll, but finally, she gave in.

"I love it!",she shouted.

I looked Adelind in the eye and nuzzled her,"were doing something right." 

I watched with a smile and a warm feeling as Ace tried on his armor.

"It fits like it was made for me!",he squealed i happiness," I can't wait 'till my friends see it!"

Dusk was already engrossed in his book, resting his head between his small paws with his eyes firmly affixed on the pages and Helix was playing with her doll. As I watched my cubs play around, I heard several soft thumps and voices outside my den, followed by several familiar scents drifting in.

"Guess the company's here",I said smiling at my mate and walking out to the front of my den.

My parents, Adelind's parents, Sozenn, Cora as well as Fireclaw and his mate Lyth usually spent Christmas with us and thus our den would be packed full and chaotic. My hunch was confirmed when a mass of scaled bodies walked up to me.

"Well everyone showed up at once",I said laughing,"and for a change, no one's late."

"Yeah, yeah",my father said walking up to me and hugging me,"your late one time."

I laughed,"I'm glad your here Dad."

My Dad was a 15 foot tall, 50 foot long Arctic Mountain dragon with tan scales and a brown underbelly like mine. His two horns came back on his head about four feet and he had all the same spikes and armor that I did. My father's wings were a full 240 feet long, the normal size for a Mountain Alpha Male.

"My god honey you've gotten so big",my Mom noted.

My Mom was a Desert Dragon and where I had gotten my Desert genes from. She was about seven feet tall and twenty four feet long, about the same size as Adelind. She had horns that grew back about two or so feet and were a light brown color like the rest of her. Her wings were only sixty feet long, but she had pride in them none the less. After exchanging hellos and suffering through a few embarrassing remarks made by my Mother, Sozenn and I locked horns.