A Day Alone

It snowed that night. I was stirred by the cold drifting into my den, as well as Ace jumping on top of me. It was his favorite way to wake me up.

"Dad, Dad, Dad!",he shouted,"will you come out and play with us?"

"Go away!",I moaned,"no I'm not home."

"Yes you are",Ace said happily,"I'm on top of you."

"No you aren't",I replied with a moan,"this is a recording."

"What's a recording?",Ace asked,"whatever it is I'm pretty sure your not one." 

"Yes I am",I replied laying my head back down.

Ace smirked and jumped, throwing all of his weight onto my back, sending a surge of pain through me.

"Argg!",I roared standing,"okay I'm up, I'm up!"

"Dad",Dusk asked,"will you come play with us?"

"I will",Fireclaw said appearing at the entrance to our den.

"Where did you come from?",I asked smiling.

"The sky",Fireclaw said going for the dramatic effect,"I was just flying by and I thought I'd drop in. If you and Adelind wan't some alone time, I could watch your kids for you."

The kids loved Fireclaw as he would often cause trouble with them when they were bored. Adelind and I would usually find out hours before they got back from Sozenn, who had a knack for spying on them, and we would often be waiting for them when they returned.

I smiled,"yeah, I'm still beat out from last night."

"Yeah",Fireclaw smiled,"I dropped by Sozenn's place and found him KO with Cora underneath him."

"I'll never understand what's wrong with that dragon",I laughed,"kids go with Fireclaw and keep your tails out of trouble."

"We will!"Ace said as Fireclaw lifted Dusk onto his back.

"Onwards trusty steed!",Dusk shouted.

"Later bro",Fireclaw said turning and running out into the snow.

I lay my head between my paws and was almost back to sleep when Adelind nuzzled me.

"Kids wake you too?",I asked through a wide yawn.

"Yeah",she replied,"I told them to wake you."

I laughed.

"Sometimes I wonder what my life was like when I could get a decent nights sleep."

"No kidding",Adelind replied,"I haven't had twelve straight hours since Ace learned to talk, he's such a loud mouth."

I laughed,"maybe it would have been better if we'd never taught them to speak."

I yawned again before standing up and stretching out, lowering my front end to the ground like a cat. Out of the corner of my eye, I could see Adelind eyeing me and swishing her tail back and fourth.

"Enjoying the view?",I asked.

She blushed,"do I really need to answer that?"

I smiled and lay over her back, folding my wings over her,"yes you do."

She blushed again,"yes I was."

I smiled and licked her across the muzzle,"when was the last time you and I had time to ourselves?"

"The day before Ace was born",Adelind replied,"but I wouldn't trade his birth for anything."

There was a pause.

"How did I get so lucky to find a male like you?",Adelind asked.

I smiled and pulled my mate into a deep kiss.

"I think I'm the one that should be asking how I got so lucky to find a female like you."

Adelind blushed before pulling me into a deep, passionate kiss that seemed to last forever. I pulled away after sometime and looked into her beutifull blue eyes with flecks of bright sliver threaded into them.

"Every time we touch I fall in love with you all over again",I said,"I love you Adelind, with every fiber of my being, I don't know what I would do without you."

"Nor do I my love",Adelind replied licking me on the cheek,"nor do I."