Rain

Greyson put down the 66 late the next evening. It had been a long flight back home on account of the endless American jets that had been pursuing us and the countless times Greyson had to change course. When the hatch came down, the smell of moist air and the sound of beating rain filled the cabin. I saw a bolt of lightning fire off in the distance and thunder followed in close pursuit. In the light of the 66's cabin, I could see Nolan and Ness had come out to meet us.

“Did you save my friend?”, Ness asked.

I stretched and walked out of the jet, “he should be fine, we left him on Artimus' battleship because of how badly he was hurt.”

“Speaking of hurt”, Sozenn said walking out with Avrae and his mother, “this kid lost his arm in an engine gear, it needs to be looked at.”

Nolan walked up to them and inspected the little boy's cast arm.

“I'd like to take him to the hospital mam”, Nolan said.

She nodded and allowed Nolan to take her son off her back. Nolan started for his car and I followed him.

“What is is this Vietnam?”, Nolan asked as he placed Avrae in the passenger seat, “having your jacket open went out in the 60's.”

I laughed, “Hey I was hot so I opened it.”

Nolan shut the door of his car with a thunk, “by the way Tyro, Faline wanted to see you earlier, but since you weren't here I told her I'd send ya down there when you got back.”

“When you get to the hospital tell her I'll be down shortly”, I replied, “I gotta get my kids from the hatchery and then I'll head on down.”

Nolan nodded as he hopped into his car. I turned around and headed for the hatchery. Adelind was standing just inside the doorway talking with Mark, who seemed tired.

“You look like hammered shit Tyro”, Mark greeted.

“Like you look any better”, I replied, “take it your ground to dust too huh?”

“My shifts over”, Mark said, “there are a couple of older kids in here that have been giving me two levels of hell all day.”

“Ace can straighten them out”, Adelind said.

“If only he were big enough”, Mark laughed tiredly, “your cubs are asleep in the back. Come in and get out of the rain.”

Adelind and I stepped inside. The inside of the hatchery was painted in a tan color. There was a blue carpet that lined the floor that was rife with little Feral's and Anthro's ranging from hatchlings all the way to kids about Avrae's age. There were toys spread out all over the ground and you had to be careful where you stepped or else you might end up slipping on a bouncy ball or getting a Jack shoved in your paw pad.

Ace and the others were curled with one another in the corner of the hatchery, trying to ride out the storm by my guess.

“Hey guys”, Adelind said, “wake up.”

Tyson popped open one of his blue eyes, “guys is not here at the moment, please leave a message after the beep.”

“Come on guys”, I said, “it's late and I think you would all be more comfortable in your own beds.”

Tyson yawned and rolled off his perch on the top of the mass, waking the others as he did.

“Would you take them back and put them to bed?”, I asked turning to Adelind, “Nolan told me that Faline wanted to talk.”

“What about?”, Adelind asked.

“I bet it has something to do with Taro”, I told her.

Adelind sighed, “don't be long.”