24. A Talk

"N-Nighter?" I turned around when I heard Yoongi stutter out my name. The orange-eyed male was timidly standing behind me. His posture expressed vulnerability.

"Yeah?" I asked, taking another book from one of the shelves. I was in the library to enhance my English. I had finally gotten rid of Yugyeom after turning corners and entering random rooms in the palace. I wanted to be alone, and Yoongi wasn't helping with that. It had been two weeks since I arrived on the planet and a few days since I had seen Yoongi or Seokjin.

"I-I'm sorry for what I did," he apologized. "I can't justify my actions, so I'm going to leave it at that."

"I accept your apology," I said. I turned my back towards him and went back to selecting some books. I didn't get to read much back on Jupiter. My status was low despite the fact that the Knight was my adoptive father. I was still seen as an orphan, which automatically debunked me in status. Reading was a luxury to us, and a well-paying job was a rare occasion. The respect that my father had for being the Knight was the only reason why I was hired as a part-time florist. My adoptive father taught me how to read and write when I was first adopted, but once he was promoted to Knight, he didn't have time to teach me, and when he did, he was always tired. His wife hated me to the core, she refused to teach me.

One thing I didn't tell Taehyung was that the bond stopped me from pushing Yoongi away due to the risk of him getting hurt. I didn't want them to know that the bond was controlling me. The more you resist the bond, the stronger the pull is.

"Why didn't you use the dagger?" he blurted out. I sighed and turned to look at him again.

"I made a promise to you. I never go back on promises," I said. His face expressed that he was filled with guilt.

"Seokjin wanted to talk to you," he said.

"Where is he?" I asked. I wasn't one to hold grudges, but I had my limits. If they pulled something like that again, then it would be harder for me to accept their apologies.

"In his office. Do you want me to take you there?" he asked. "Yugyeom's waiting for you outside the library. He knows the way as well if you don't want me to guide you."

"I'll go with Yugyeom," I said. I pushed a book back into its rightful place and walked out without looking back. I sighed when Yugyeom started following me. "I know you're my personal guard and all, but is it possible to be left alone?"

He sent me a Cheshire grin. "Unfortunately not. King's orders, your- Nighter," he said.

"Tell me about dragons," I said.

"Well, dragons tend to be insanely possessive over their mates. That's how they were made to be. As you know, only the royals can fly or have powers. A normal dragon would be around 10 feet tall, while royals can go up to 25. What the dragons value most are their mates. They can identify their mates by eye contact, or they have to be in proximity to get a whiff of their scent," he explained.

"What about the former King. Do you have any information on him?" I asked.

"All I know is that he was a megalomaniac. His obsession with exercising power was unlike any other person. In the first six years of reign, the royal must be guided by the Council. After that, the Council is mere support or a conference for alternate suggestions," he said. "Seokjin's father didn't do that. Instead, he eliminated the Council members and ruled as he wished. Everyone knows and praises Seokjin for killing his father. He fixed what his father did wrong and is one of the best kings in history."

"Yugyeom," Seokjin's voice rang from behind us. The two of us turned around to come face to face with the sophisticated king. "I'll take it from here, thank you."

Yugyeom bowed and walked off in another direction. "Yoongi said you wanted to talk to me," I said. I observed his behaviour. His face was stoic but it was clear that he was hiding something.

"Yes. Do you want to go to the garden?" he asked.

"There's a garden?" I asked in shock.

-

"Before I tell you anything, I wanted to apologize for what I did to you. I wasn't thinking straight, I was already worried about everything around me and then King Hyungsik told me something that just added to that stress," he started. He sighed when he realized that he was rambling. "The point is, I lost myself for a while, and you ended up being the victim. I'm sorry."

"I accept your apology," I responded monotonously. Mind you, I didn't forgive them, I simply accepted their apology. That is not a sign of forgiving, I was giving him a chance to actually work on his mistake. It was also my fault for pushing their buttons the way I did, they were bound to break at some point. However, the way they handled the situation was unforgivable.

"Thank you," he said, sincerity laced in his voice. "King Hyungsik has a hypothesis."

"What is it?" I asked.

"He thinks you're the long lost Prince of the merpeople. Or in other words, their son," he said.

"Oh. So that's how Queen Gina knew my name," I said. What he said actually had not been processed in my mind yet.

"She knows your name?" he asked.

"Yeah. She called me by my name, but I was quick to shut that down before Yugyeom caught on," I responded, absentmindedly. I didn't realize that I exposed that Nighter was not my name. I turned to mumbling in Blasaedan. "But what did she mean when said that she had known about me for a while? I hadn't been here for that long. But if you take King Hyungsik's theory into account, then it would make sense. Though I am anatomically a Jupitarian. I have never shown any sign of being a merman."

"Nighter?" Seokjin called out, waving his hand in front of my face. "Everything okay?"

"Y-yeah," I stuttered out once I snapped out of my thoughts. I had to do more research on the merpeople. "You know what, I should get going. I have some things to do." He opened his mouth to speak, but I rushed off, leaving him in confusion.

There's no way I was a Dagian.